Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Attempted To Get The Darwin Award

FC

It was nearing the end of the day and I wanted to get some loads going for the S&W 4th model DA. The 3F black powder still hasn't come in. I tried loads using 2F, but my wife said it sounded like a cap gun. I have a lot of Universal Clays, and used it a lot for .44-40 and .45 Colt. No loads are listed for it in .38 S&W, so I figured I'd try some light loads. 2.5 grains I got about 345 fps. I tried 3.0 grains and got around 390 fps. OK, do the math, let's try 4 grains. Well, I didn't feel like dinking around, so I loaded a round and took it out to try. I never figured on an exponential increase- big mistake! 954 fps in something that shouldn't go over about 650 fps! Now I get to figure out how to put it back together. Yeah, I know, I know. Kicked like a mule.

post-1-0-15238900-1365385071_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-46085100-1365385100_thumb.jpg

I didn't feel like dinking around, so I loaded a round and took it out to try.

Well did you learn anything??? :( Like "SAFETY FIRST". Or maybe the first rule of reloading, start low and work up slow???

just ask'n

1. http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-antiques/

These folks would be helpful for re assembly.. to avoid added grief, I'd be vague on how it happened... You might want to double check the cylinder IDs to see if that load egged out the cylinder. I have an old Webley MkVI that won't extract because all the 45acp in its shooting career did the egg thing to it.

Regards,

Wiley