Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Buffalo Bore Ammunition

Clemson

Have any of you folks shot any Buffalo Bore ammo? I got a couple of boxes of "low recoil, low flash" 357 Magnum for short barrels to shoot in my S&W 340PD. The company loads some intriguing stuff, and I am considering stocking some of it for sale in my shop. I just don't know beans about Buffalo Bore or their reputation.

Bill Jacobs

I've shot a mag full of 380 but only three rounds of 44 Mag. The 380 made my friend's small Bersa a bit tough to hang on to. The 44's out of my S&W, 4 inch barrel were simply very painful to continue and I didn't take a third shot. Glad I did as the cylinder was very difficult to open afterward as the ejector rod started to unthread itself due to the vicious recoil. My shooting friend advised me later after reading Buffalo Bore's website that their 44 Mag loads are not recommended for Smith and Wessons. On the same outing I also shot one more 44 round in my friend's Ruger Supert Redhawk with a 7 1/2 inch barrel and Pachmeyer rubber grips. Not nearly as painful in the Ruger but I nervously flinched shooting it.

I believe I mentioned here or possibly another gun board. When I sat as a juror on a Grand Jury we indicted a man for assault. The shooter we were told shot and killed a person in a legitimate self defense situation. The shooter was cleared and no charges filed for shooting the bad guy. The 357 mag bullet went through the bad guy hitting a woman that was in no way connected to the incident. The details we were given of the secondary injury were sketchy at best. Best I recall she had surgery and an overnight stay in the hospital. I do not know how it ended for the guy in criminal court and my guess is the good guy also faced a civil suit.

Since then I have stopped carrying a 357 and use 38's or 9MM Makarov for self defense when carrying concealed. Law likely varies in different states but in Arizona it is like sending a signed blank check down range. If the shooter misses the intended target or the bullet goes through a bad guy.The shooter is responsible for injury, property and possible manslaughter for any bullet beyond the target.

I'm hesitant to use mag, +P or even FMJ's for self defense fearful of over penetration. I'm currently carrying standard velocity 38's 110gr jacketed HP's. Buffalo Bore with its increased velocity is great for handgun hunting or hunting with a rifle chambered for a handgun cartridge. I would however discourage anybody using Buffalo Bore for self defense especially the deep penetrating hard cast or in any non-mag gun not rated for +P's.

EDIT: I've read internet chatter claiming Buffalo Bore's low flash is really low flash. Can't speak for it personally but seems to me I've read it numerous times on several boards.

• 4 weeks later...