Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I did the unspeakable

FC

I shot sabot .50 caliber bullets out of my flintlock just to try to see if I could increase accuracy. The jury is still out, but the first four or five loads were more accurate than a ball. I had a tough time ramming the bullets down, which wasn't good on those plastic tips, that is for sure. I used no wad. I found some of the sabots downrange all in one piece. I was concerned about plastic residue in the barrel.

After about 5 shots the accuracy declined quite a bit. I'll have to try again next time out.

Interesting....

I bet minie balls are next.

I'm looking forward to a plain-old round ball group soon. I have 0.015 and 0.010 patches waiting for 0.440 and 0.454 balls.

I'm hoping that the .454s work because I have a mold and several hundred pounds of scrap lead.

If they don't work I'll probably just by another mold.

So many projects....

• 4 years later...

I've tryed conical bullets through mine and found if you dont have a fast twist barrel it usually tumbles and key holes on target. Hope it works better for ya!!!I have stayed strictly patched round balls and they all shoot great