Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Accurizing sporterized SMLE's

dave h

In my misspent youth . The .303 was a favored weapon of choice (due to cheapness & avalibility ) I was taught by a Old Hand that you could get better accuracy by losening the barrel from it's bed .Then getting a piece of car inner tube cut to a single thickness & then slid into the very fore end of the stock under the barrel.the barrel was then tighterned & a 10 shot group fired . The process was repeated pulling the inner tube along a width at a time until the Sweet spot was found ! The Tube was then Trimed flush with the top of the wood ! Ok these rifles would never make the front page Of Guns but they shot well & the gun smithing was done hundreds of miles from any workshop!

Dave

I've done the same thing on Mausers using playing cards,but put them on the forend tip.Keep pulling or adding until it starts grouping,then a little Accra Glass behind the cards,and your tuned up.I learned that on this board right after I joined.One Yugo it didn't work on,reckon shimming won't cure a screwed up barrel.Anyone that looks down on a .303 aint never had one.I've got one old butchered sporter my brother won in a poker game in Alaska,and I wouldn't take a 1,000 bucks for it.It's killed a few deer and a hog,and they must've thought it was a .270 or '06 that hit them from the way they dropped.4 young boys in my family started their hunting careers with my old .303.Reckon .303's are the rest of the worlds 30-30.Jerry

I'll second that Jerry ! The .303 has been my choice of PH hunting cals all my working life .Oh at times it's been a back up rifle but it's all ways been close at hand .I also have a deep seated love for the 30-30 smile.gif I still own the Mk1 (1902) that I first brought in the late 60's! Damn thing is on it's 8th barrel & just won't die !

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have always used this technique to fine tune the barrels on all of my sporter rifles - it works with almost all types of rifles, not just Enfields. Sportered military Mausers tend to respond very well to this technique. As for this not working with a Yugo M48....in my experience, it works just as well as with any other rifle. I suggest that the gentlemen that could not get the M48 to respond to this technique has a poorly- bedded action. If the action is not absolutely solidly bedded in the stock, then NO amount of "barrel tuning" will do any good - this is true for ALL rifles. The receiver bedding is always the FIRST item to deal with, when accurizing any rifle.

• 9 months later...

On one of the forums I frequent I received a message from a friend in australia. Some of the old timers used to run two screws from the inside of the #4 stock. The ends of the screws would bear upon the buttscokket which would increase pressure against the backside of the trigger housing draws. The amount of tension could be controlled by screwing the screws in or out. Has anyone heard of this and how successful was it?

Frank