Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Small Ring Mauser Saftey Options-Help Me Decide

Kevinitis

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but I have found some good info here. I have a Swedish Mauser 94 that was sporterized before I had it. The stock was cut down and shaped and the receiver was drilled for a peep sight. Otherwise it is in original configuration, has matching numbers, a decent barrel and ok bluing. With the peep sights I shot a two inch group at 100 yards with it. I would like to take this fun little gun and make it nicer. I have purchased a Richards Microfit dual grip thumbhole stock and have desires to make this a nice little hunting sporter. I intend on replacing the trigger, and having a gunsmith drill and tap for a scope, which calls for a change in the safety. The question I have gone back and forth on is whether I should get an aftermarket trigger with the tang safety or whether would be better to get a low mount Bueller style safety and a trigger without the tang safety. Because it will be a hunting gun, I like the idea of having a firing pin blocking safety, on the other hand, the one side wing safety that I have seen on a different mauser sporter was stiff to operate and kind of awkward. I wondered whether it was just a poor installation or if that is what I would expect? It seems like the tang safety would be convenient and easy to operate, and easy to install, but I wonder whether the gun would not be as safe for a hunting rifle. What is your opinion about what the better option is and why. Please help me decide.

Welcome to the board.

I have some pics of a Timney safety on a Spanish 93 here:

http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=10935&page=2&do=findComment&comment=60661

I, too, like the actual hammer blocking safety that functions like the original Mauser safety. With that type of safety in place, the thing is not going to go off. While I'm sure that the trigger based safeties are good and all, I just like the idea that the hammer is physically restrained, versus the sear is locked.

Going to cost a few more bucks but Ken's Winchester type I the photo on the right is the best way to go. Not simply for the additional safe being of blocking the firing pin assy but the ease in operating. Being a cheapskate I opted for the two position Win type 70 safety. I feel like kicking myself every time I handle the rifle for not spending the additional bucks for the three position type 70 safety.

My JC Higgins Model 50 came factory equipped with the bolt safety. It operates very smoothly and positive. One I installed myself years ago took way to much elbow grease to move it. Guy I swapped the rifle to did a great job of smoothing it up. Told me he spent about 15 minutes stoning it smooth embarrassing me for being so inpatient with my installation.

Board member Don Markey makes the Winchester Model 70 type safety for Mausers. Send him a private message if interested. Every review here on this board has praised his work.

Getting it smooth and relatively easy is all about how much time you put into installing it. Radiusing all the bits, getting the angles just right. It's never going to be as easy as something that only blocks the trigger from moving, as with the Timney type, like the original Mauser flag safety, you are blocking the hammer and depending on how that particular set of parts went together, you are probably moving the hammer back a little bit and fighting against the spring. Off is easier than on. It wasn't very expensive. I think I bought it on Amazon.

Ken98, nice looking guns. I would prefer the Winchester type safety for the swede as that would be better than either of the other two options. It seems I find Winchester style safeties mostly available for mauser 98 models, not the 94's or 96's. Where did your's come from? AZ Redneck, do you know if Don Markey makes a Winchester style for small ring mausers? I saw one from Ed Lapour which looked really nice, but going with this one would cost more than the rest of the gun. In the end, it will still be a small ring mauser with limited value and so I would be upside down economically.

Ken98, nice looking guns. I would prefer the Winchester type safety for the swede as that would be better than either of the other two options. It seems I find Winchester style safeties mostly available for mauser 98 models, not the 94's or 96's. Where did your's come from? AZ Redneck, do you know if Don Markey makes a Winchester style for small ring mausers? I saw one from Ed Lapour which looked really nice, but going with this one would cost more than the rest of the gun. In the end, it will still be a small ring mauser with limited value and so I would be upside down economically.

Kevenitus sorry but I was thinking of and posting details of 98 safeties. The model 70 type I had installed by McGowen Barrels years ago before Harry McGowen retired. The 98 safety I installed myself I just don't recall the name of the Shotgun News vendor. It might have been Sporter Express that I believe is no longer dealing with Mauser parts. I'm pretty sure the low flag type safeties for scoped Mausers are available through Numrich.

I'll see if I can't get Don to chime into this thread.

EDIT: The email address I had for Don is no longer valid. Sent him a PM via this board.

I believe the Wisner 140 can be adapted to a pre-98 sm ring but call them to find out for certain.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/safety-parts/safeties/two-position-safety-kit-prod9916.aspx

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/705489/timney-buehler-style-low-swing-safety-mauser-93-96-blue

Welcome aboard Kevin, There is a tremendous amount of info in the archives. Nice to see guys are still working on these old rifles.

You're going to love the Winny type safety compared to the low flag type especially if you install a large 30MM scope. A few years back I had a bad experience with a Mauser trigger safety. Not knowing better at the time I used PB Blaster to clean several weapons after a family get-together. I quickly discovered the PB Blaster disintegrates Lock-Tite. The heavy recoil from shooting a lightweight 308 Norma Mag caused the entire trigger assembly to loosen from a screw backing out. The rifle surprisingly went BOOM after lowering the bolt.

I took the rifle back to Timneys. This was before the founder's son sold out to the flamer currently running it. He noticed the problem right away advising me not to use penetrating oils around screws held with Lock-Tite.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for the info you provided in this thread! I purchased a Winchester type 2 position safety from Wisner. Even though I had looked a lot on internet searches for such a safety for the swede, I had not found one and was resigned to try the other two options. Now I can move on to other aspects of the rifle. Thanks!