Military Firearm Restoration Corner

A Great Ccw Pistol

AzRednek

No I don't work there!! Anybody looking for a good hide out pistol these things are great. I picked up two a few years ago when they were only about 150. Already traded one away. These P-64's easily fit a front pocket and the size is very close and often smaller than most 380's. The P-64 is obviously copy catted from the 380 Walther PPK but with the extra punch of the 9MM Mak. The only downside is the traditional blue steel finish. Requiring a daily wipe down if pocket carried to prevent rust. Another complaint I've read on the net is a lack of spare parts. Hopefully the Pols will dump parts on the surplus market but from what I've read they are still being issued to police.

The factory double action trigger pull is beyond ridiculous. The Pols designed them to shoot the same hard primer 9MM Makarov ammo as their sub machineguns. $12.00 spring kits make these pistols shoot like a well oiled machine. A few years ago experimenting with various hand loaded 9MM Mak ammo. I put over 200 rds through one on a single outing. Not a single hick-up. They toss brass a minimum of 10 yards, often more to the right. I had to shoot it slightly to the left as I was po-ing adjacent shooters. I also discovered by mistake they shoot and function perfectly with 380. I shot about 40-50 rds of handloaded home cast lead 380. No malfunctions but the 15 yard target looked like a shotgun pattern launching a .355 slug down a .364 bore. Barrel was leaded very badly but it still functioned 100%.

Not to likely to see these this cheap again. 6 months ago they were fetching 299. If I had the spare bread I'd pick up a couple for future horse trading goods. I'm tempted to buy one for my daughter in law. She carries a puny Taurus 25 auto.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/HG0030.aspx

That PPK size is just about right for a pocket pistol. I remember you could get Tokerev barrels in 380 so you could just swap out the barrel. $199 was a pretty good price, too.

The 380 conversions were popular years ago when 9MM Mak ammo was scarce. Still hard to find good self defense Mak ammo but cheapie steel cased plinking ammo is now abundant. I picked up some Wolf brand Mak JHP's. I honestly don't know if there is enough oompf in the Mak ammo to provide expansion or mushrooming of the HP's but it was only a couple bucks more than FMJ's. I've come across some soft nose Mak ammo. S&B brand I think it was but the gunshow vendor's price was crazy.

9MM Makarov is easy for any hand loader with a trimmer. Simply trim .01 off 9MM Lugar brass and it is ready to go. I use a file trim die with an extended shell holder. I came up with the bright idea of using marking pens on the case head. Red for 380 and black for 9MM Mak. Unmarked were 9MM Lugar. Like an absent minded genius I threw it all in a tumbler removing the color. All I could do was stand up each piece of brass to separate it. Took me a couple hours.

I couldn't find any published 9MM Mak loading data although there was plenty of unreliable loads on the net. Knowing that 380 functioned in my 9MM Maks I simply used published 380 data and it worked just fine. Difference in 380/9MM Mak bullet weights were less than 5grs. My home cast 380 and 9MM Mak slugs cast from Lee moulds are nearly impossible to distinguish by eyeball. Have to use a micrometer to tell the two aprt.

There is/was a Youtube video where a nut job shoots 380 and both 9MM's in a Tokarov and Makarov. He also shot some 9MM Maks in a 9MM Luger chambered pistol. I can't recall the type of 9MM. The 9MM Luger loaded directly in the chamber of a Mak pistol fired but failed more often than not to eject the brass. Obviously with the over all length the Lugar cartridge it wont go into a Mak magazine. Foolishly in the video he shoots Mak ammo in a Lugar chambered pistol. The video demonstrated the Mak ammo shot and functioned but my guess he probably backed out primers and exceeded pressure limits shoving a .364 FMJ slug down a .355 bore. Guess it might be ok in a serious emergency but doing it for a thrill of posting a Youtube is simply stupid.

The PG 63 if you can find one will work. I have a PPH...the export one in 380 very good pistol

karl

Karl, never heard of a PG 63, could it be PA-63?? I love my PA-63 wish I had hoarded a few when they were out the door from J&G for under a hundred. The one I bought had a bad magazine and jammed with consistency. When I complained to J&G I got "what do you expect for a $90 pistol sorry but sales are final". Following a net suggestion I tried another mag and haven't had a jam since.

Not being familiar wit the PPH I pulled up some JPG's on the net. It looks nearly identical to the PA 63 but appears to have a steel frame vs the aluminum (or what appears to be an aluminum type alloy) frame.

The PA-63 makes a great pocket pistol but the moist environment of a front pocket invites rust and trouble. I usually carry a Taurus titanium 38 revolver in my front right pocket. The titanium frame and stainless cylinder does not oxidize but the steel front sight blade and grip screw and nut have rusted. When I carry it I try to remember to wipe it down daily to remove the lint but more often than not I forget.

I stand corrected Az it is the PA-63. I'm an trying to learn latin and it is using up what brain i have! : (

The frame is aluminum titanium alloy. I carry mine in a side pack.

http://www.hungariae.com/FegPPH.htm

karl

Learning Latin?? I always thought you'd make an excellent Roman Catholic priest!! If you do be sure to share any juicy gossip you hear in confession!!

"Father forgive me for I have sinned, I just sported a cherry, mint 03 Springfield". Father Karl says, "your penance is to stand in front of a gun show handing out Mothers Demand Safety brochures while wearing an I voted for Obama t-shirt".

Kidding aside as I have to much time on my hands again. I found a short but great video on Hornady 9X18 SD ammo.