Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Model 97 Winchester

I have a Model 97 Winchester 12 gauge in the shop for a consignment sale. The gun is mechanically sound, and the wood seems OK, but somewhere along the line it was used as a prison gun, and the handguard or barrel shroud was removed. What kind of money would a gun like that be worth to the cowboy action folks?

Bill Jacobs

Clemson hard to even speculate. Its lost its desirability as a collector's item missing parts. Might get some attention from a collector if it has and stampings, tags or anything to link it to the prison. As a shooter for the CAS crowd you will have to compete against the Chinese clones. I had a Chinese 97 Trench gun. I paid a little under 300 ten or so years ago. It was a good solid gun and the action really smoothed out with use. I sold it along with a repro US 1917 bayonet for 550 about a year ago to help fund an AR-10 purchase.

My guess your 97 due to its age the action is slick and smooth and would appeal to a shooter. I think most CAS shooters would rather have a US made gun and would probably be willing to pay a few more bucks than a clone. It would probably be easier to sell to a shooter if you replaced the missing parts. Numrich did and hopefully still have a good supply of parts for the 1897 Winnie.

I've found the best way to estimate a used gun's value is to check Gunbroker or other online auction. Check out the completed auctions of guns that actually sold. Disregard the foolish listings with a ridiculous opening bid or reserve that never sold.

I think around 350 would make it a fair return to the owner and a good buy for a shooter. An original would have to be better than a Chinese copy. It actually looks good.

Thanks for confirming this in my mind.

Bill

• 1 month later...