Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Looking For Some Specs On Swedes

8uck5nort

Does anyone know what the thread specs are that were used by the Swedes when they threaded the muzzle end for the M96 flash hiders? If known, is it a fairly common standard that one can purchase a pipe thread device (not exactly sure what the would be called) to put the appropriate threading on the outside of a barrel that currently does not have them?

Geeze, I was expecting that one of these smart alecs would have piped up on this by now. I've got a threaded Swede (that I got from FC a few years back). If no one answers soon I might have to get the thread pitch guages out (although with my eyes these guages are only semi-reliable for me).

Sarco or numrich used to sell the thread protectors you can also try a search on gun broker i dont have one thats threaded or i would check for your hope this helps

james

Does anyone know what the thread specs are that were used by the Swedes when they threaded the muzzle end for the M96 flash hiders?

The threads are metric of course, and the size is 14x1.0mm. The outside is 14mm at 1.0mm thread pitch.

It's real close to a sparkplug size, which is 14x1.25mm, but is not a match.

Spiris

Thank you for the reply. Now I Just need to finde a tap (I think that is the proper term) to cut threads on end of a Carcano barrel... Hope they are similar to the swede. Mic'ed at about .51 inches in diameter.

Bucksnort, an M14 external thd has an OD (major diameter) around .545. .510 will leave you pretty flat threads. I assume you have the protector and need to have the barrel threaded to match, correct? Does the protector have enough wall thickness to be bored, sleeved and then thd it inside for 1/2-20? You may be able to put a 1/2-20 die over your barrel. At least an adjustable one that you can creep up on. That may even be tough with barrel steel.

Walnut,

You are correct. I will have a flash hider that needs to be threaded on the barrel. the barrel at this time has no threading at all. I do not have the flash hider yet (It is on order from Sarco) so I do not have a firm idea of what the inside diameter is on the hider.

I was actually thinking of this.

Plan A: If the hider is a lot larger than the OD on the barrel then I was going to sleeve in a much softer metal such as aluminium then secure the sleeve to the end of the barrel with a weld of some kind. I will robably finish the barrel and reciever in a black matte gunkote. I currently have everything stripped to bare metal. I will just need to do a real neat job.

Plan B: I will thread the barrel and see if I can get a good seat. If not then weld in place to secure and revert to plan A.