Military Firearm Restoration Corner

De-Sporting An 03A3 Springfield

AzRednek

My son recently inherited a sportorized 03A3. It was a simple job for whomever sported it. He simply dropped the barreled action into a stock. All the original metal is intact except for an unusual hinged floor plate trigger/mag assembly and the butt plate. No holes were drilled for a scope mount. With the aid of the net, SARCO, Numrich and an original stock I got locally. We have located all the parts necessary to put it back into its original military configuration. Although it wont be original. I see it changing from a 150-$200 shooter to having considerably more value as a collectible.

Over the years I've seen numerous sported Springfields but this is the first one I've seen with a hinged floor plate. I assume back in the 50 and 60's when low cost Springfields were commonly sportorized the mag assembly was probably a common mail order item. With the nearly outrageous prices today a new Mauser trigger guard with a hinged floor plate sells for. I think there might be some value to the one off of the Springfield.

Has anybody ever seen or have an idea of the what the hinged 03 Springfield mag assy might be worth?? I searched the net and couldn't find one for sale. I'd like to sell the sporter stock and mag assy to recoup the costs of all the parts. It hurt but I had to pay a hundred for the stock.

Last time I bought a Springfield stock in the late 70's I got a beater but only paid 5 bucks for it. I steamed and sanded several dings and dents but managed to keep the EK (Elmer Keith) inspector's mark intact.

I'll post pictures in the next week or so after everything arrives.

• 3 weeks later...