Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M48 Vs The 24/47

Brenden

hello all.....I've always been a m48 fan and own one but i've been looking for another sporterizing project. what is your alls comments on the m48 verses the 24/47. Pros and cons of both. Does the 24 have the same short floor plate area of the 48 or is it larger (for detachable mag's, I know Don your gonna cringe but i like em now) i'm thinking a gun in 260 or 7mm-08 with a short, light barrel is how i want to go...maybe a light wood stock or syn..i dunno, and of course the scout mount w/red dot. let me know what you think. also what are these guns going for now? thanks.

That's ok to each their own. The 24/47 is dimesionally the same as the 48 except it has a straight bolt handle. The fit and finish is usually a little nicer with the 24/47 than the 48, with the 48a in the middle. But I do have a hinged triggerguard for one if you are looking for an alterative to the gibbs mag.

-Don

thanks don, hmm......that hinged sounds ok...may be intrested if i get a 24..whats another strong action with regular sized floor plate? thanks don

For strength, you will have a hard time beating the czech vz-24. I have a couple I'm reserving for magnums. For standard calibers my favorite is the 1909, but they tend to be a little soft for magnums. Other than that you won't go wrong with a german 98, you can still find them for about double the price of the yugo's.

-Don

I have a 24/47 that I pulled the barrel, drilled and tapped.

The breech face of the barrel is not flat, but has some extractor relief feature.

I would rather have the longer VZ24 actions, but they are no longer on the primary surplus market.

My order of preference is:

M24

M24/47

M48A

M48

All are safety breeched. The differences are that the 24's are smoother, better machined, and unless the rearsenalling process was buggered the preferred platform. The M48A is smoother than the M48 generally straighter and the only detractor being that it has stamped bottom metal. Swapping bottom metal adds cost so again we are back to the 24's. Lastly, the M48, these remond me of the recent production Zastava sporters most recently available under the Charles Daly brand name. These are rough, and other than a Santa Barbara action, have the worst tolerances of any Mauser I've worked on. I've not worked on the new Remington 798 to see if they have improved.

My order of preference is:

M24

M24/47

M48A

M48

All are safety breeched. The differences are that the 24's are smoother, better machined, and unless the rearsenalling process was buggered the preferred platform. The M48A is smoother than the M48 generally straighter and the only detractor being that it has stamped bottom metal. Swapping bottom metal adds cost so again we are back to the 24's. Lastly, the M48, these remond me of the recent production Zastava sporters most recently available under the Charles Daly brand name. These are rough, and other than a Santa Barbara action, have the worst tolerances of any Mauser I've worked on. I've not worked on the new Remington 798 to see if they have improved.

Hey thanks for the info. Personally i like the m48, but i also love the argies for their smooth action. Hate to admitt it but don't know much (other than what you've said) about the 24's. Just for info. i have a .308 that i built off of a charles daly action, (zastava). The gun has a fajen walking varimeter stock, A&B barrel in f54 contour, and plus the zastava. I'm capable of 1/4-1/2 inch groups at 100 yrds, but thats with good handloads in seirra 125 sbt, and i believe it was imr or winchester powder. Although i've always been a charles daly fan, i do agree they are alot to be desired. The saftey for one absolutly sucks, and the bolt could be a bit tighter. The only reason i built off of this action was because it was my first "custom" gun and the $ was right...Under $800 for the whole complete gun...scope and all. But hey it works and it kills the hell outta rockchucks!