Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Redeemed Myself With My 35 Rem

rdm1962

I commented on a Veterans Day post how I muffed a shot on a standing Doe at about 160 yards. Well Saturday I redeemed myself. My kids and I got drawn for a managed hunt at a MO state park. We could each take up to 3 antlerless deer during the weekend hunt. Saturday morning I harvested 2 Does and 1 Button Buck.

The rifle is a Marlin 336SC, made in 1958. This rifle was a wreck when I bought it off Gun Broker. The stock was black from dirt and grime. Cracked at the tang. There was dried blood under the hand guard. The leaver and receiver had active rust on it. After cleaning it up I added a vintage Tasco 4x32 "command post" scope to it. I was shooting reloads of 185 gr Speer hot core over 44.5 gr of Leverevolution powder. They cronagraphed at 2375fps.

A heard of about 15 antlerless crossed in front of me at 75 yards. My son said that I fired 3 rounds in less than 10 seconds. I just put the tip on the post on the desired deer and shot. I filled 3 tags by 7:30am the first day of the hunt.

My Daughter shot her first deer and with the 308 I built for her. My son got a button buck.

WHOA!! Got three so a congrats in order. In Arizona it's strictly buck only. The harvest runs 8-10% in most of the state. The desert muleys are tough. They're easily spooked and a 200yd shot isn't unusual. A 270 or 06 is needed for the long range shots but a friend has been fairly successful with a 243. A 30/30 is ideal in northern Az up in pine country but as the population keeps growing the tags are hard to get. My last deer hunt, I dam near shot an elk. Three days and the only buck deer I saw was being gutted in a camp. Saw dozens of Elk, a few doe but never got a shot off.

My very first rifle purchase in 71 was a Marlin 30/30. Still have it, it's the Glenfield 30A model. Same as the 336 but has a hardwood stock, not walnut. Utilizing my then wife's employee discount I was out the door for about 75 bucks. It came with a Glenfield brand 4X scope. The scope was just junk, wondering zero so I gave it up and used the irons. Best I did with it was unfortunately was wounding a deer I couldn't find. One blood spot, about a three foot trail and it ended. Two hunters on horseback went after it but didn't find it either.