Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Challenging Renovation Project- Church Bldg. To Home

FC

We're going to buy a 1912 church building in a tiny TX town, not far from where one of my brothers live, for $30,000! Beautiful stained glass, and some pretty woodwork, and about 16 pews too, as well as the estate sale contents. Roof is only 4 years old. No kitchen, no bath, no bedroom yet. We figure moving there in two, maybe three years. Exciting! 572 people in the town an hour east of Waco.

Is that around Buffalo? Or as my friends that lived there called it "Boof-a-low." The Sheriff don't get involved in murder cases, 'cause "Murder is a personal thang in Leon County."

Just havin' phun. Sounds like it is going to be a neat project. How many square feet? How much property? I used to own 24 acres near Calvert.

Leveling, fix trim and paint, garage needed, and get those hideous tile off the walls and ceiling. Roof is pretty new. Partially rewired. 0.23 acre, town lot, 2300 or so square feet. I put in for Chip Gaines to remodel, but I may not be able to afford it, even if chosen. Land is nice, but I live to fix stuff. My body isn't as durable as it used to be, so I'm planning a less demanding future.

For a garage, the A arch metal buildings are a great way to go. You can't beat the value. You can make the front face look like anything you want, siding, brick, etc. I've got 2 of them. I bought them from Future Steel, a Canadian company that advertises in the NRA magazines. If you call them up and ask them where they are located, they'll tell you "Just south of Detroit." I would not hesitate to buy another from them, and I'm actually thinking about a 3rd to (shock) put cars in.

and about 16 pews too

You'll have plenty of seating if company comes by.... Heh.

Another bad one.... if you decide to get "aromatic", your wife can make you sit in your own pew.

You can take a couple of those pews and convert them into "deacon's benches". That would be a nice thing for an entry way or perhaps a covered patio. Is that a bad suggestion? You might even be able to turn a profit on the remainder if the conversion is done well.

Monsenior (however you spell it) Farting Chicken would work. I thought, "Miss Barbara's Wedding Chapel" would work. The trend is for women to be the lead in the male dominated fields these days.

A wedding place would work. Don't know how you would be able to make it a livable house at the same time, though. Maybe keep the pulpit area and wall off the rest for a house. We were married at a Victorian style house in Bryan that was setting up to do that kind of thing.

It will need a bathroom and at least one dressing area. Then it is a matter of advertising it in the surrounding communities. If there are still "wedding planners," that would be an excellent place to get in touch with.

I went to a Hippy wedding back in 74 as I recall, the bride and maids of honor were all "Skyclad" Being a reactionary, but bringing a gallon of wine, I was allowed to keep my pants and shirt.

karl

Yep Dr. Hess is correct.

Funny thing the last I heard about 10 years or so ago, they were still married and very happy together.

Last wedding I went to was more traditional sad thing was it broke up in two years or so..

Ya just never know,

karl

Yep They were poor as church mice..but I think the sky clad bit had something to do with embracing nature and being honest. It has been 40 years and I did have some wine.: )
As I recall,last I heard in the late 90's, they got into something to do with computers and organic stuff and did ok.
Not great... but ok.