Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I'm Going To Retire From The Army

FC

I put in for retirement next July. Early to mid-May could be my last day. After hearing a superior officer cuss and yell for 35 minutes because he didn't like the news I gave him, screw him. If he isn't going to honor the Code of Conduct, I don't want to work for him. I don't need the Army. I'll finish out my 20 and go. I have tons of responsibility. Now I could be a slug and blow off a lot of the work, as was done before me, but I figured I'd try to make a difference. Well, it didn't pay to make that appointment to talk. I endured getting punched in the shoulder by a chicken colonel in Hawaii, smacked in the leg by her knee, and disrespected by a major who is leaving and doesn't think I, a nurse, should be the section chief (she thinks a new major coming in should have the job). I don't need these people. Our antique/thrift booths are doing well, I have a good paying profession, and can get a job.

Not a problem.

I know the feeling and frustration that dealing with fools that should know better can induce in a person.

Make sure that you have your 20 in and that all of the paperwork is done.

Let Barbara double check the papers..as the Hippy does for me. :)

karl

Tony I could write a real nightmare of a story about my retirement. I thought I was being screwed over by a manager I hammered as a union rep. Turned out to be two women in the Personnel Office. One rather large woman manager that I blew off her advances years prior. The other was the sister of somebody I defeated in a union election.

Make copies of all paperwork, keep a record of whom and when it was given to and ride anybody's ass responsible for getting you your CHAMPUS coverage.

If you decide to continue your career in medicine. You might consider a federal job to combine your years with civil service. VA and Indian Health Services come to mind but I'm sure there are other federal agencies seeking your skills.

I know a fed retiree can no longer double dip and get two federal pensions but the years of service can be combined leading to a higher monthly civil service pension. If it is not discussed in the symposium ask about it and raise the issue. Any federal personnel office should be able to answer any questions but just in case you're dealing with a rookie. Don't rely on any single person's advice there are numerous other federal personnel offices to consult with.

Another consideration is a non fed govt agency, state county etc where it is possible to double dip. A former neighbor double dipped from his service with IRS and Az Income Tax Board. His IRS service also included his time as a Navy officer.

During the time I was dealing with Federal Employee's Health Benefits. The personnel people at military bases that dealt with civilian employees were the sharpest and knew the rules and regs. I know this sounds sexist but some of the other fed agencies I dealt with had big titted bimbos working in personnel that didn't know jack and were likely related to somebody that pulled the string to get them the job. Even worse they could never bring themselves to say "I don't know". They'd give bad info or dance around the question.