Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Both Are On Sale: M795 Vs M 60 In 22 Which One?

karlunity

Both are on sale:
I know the 795 is clip and the M 60 is tube
From what i read both are about as accurate ..
I was thinking of picking up one today

Which would you guys recommend?
karl

Never mind....I went to the shop but they had a rule ..seems that they cannot let you handle a rifle WITHOUT a trigger lock//So I could not test the trigger!!!! That put an end to that.

Is that something new??

I went through the same at Wally's a few years ago. I told the clerk I had to feel the trigger pull before I bought it. I was buying a Stevens M-200 for my granddaughter. I asked to speak with the manager. First manager was the sporting goods manager and after finally getting a store asst manager. She tried to tell me federal law prohibits removing the lock in the store. Knowing I was dealing with a dunce. I asked her if I get it home and the trigger is no good can I exchange it. "Oh no you have to return it to the factory". I asked her if that was also federal law and she just looked at me without saying anything. I asked her to call the store manager and was given some kind of song and dance about needing to set up an appointment. I left empty handed leaving the 50lb bag of dog food in the cart in front of the sporting goods cashier.

Can't help with your question Karl. I'm not familiar with either one. What is a 795?? I assume the M-60 is a 22 look-alike.

Given a choice I prefer tube fed as they don't get lost as mags occasionally do. For years Marlin turned out some real junk 22's under the Glenfield brand. Looked identical to the higher priced Marlins but used a cheap aluminum pot metal receiver. I won a cheapie Glenfield in a poker game in the late 70's. Got it home, took it out of wood to clean it and discovered the barrel was loose in the receiver.

I sold it as parts for 10 bucks I think. Neighbor wanted it just for the stock. He claimed to have sent the barreled receiver to Marlin and they shipped him a brand new rifle in a stock. I honestly don't know if he was BS-ing me as I never saw the new one.

I have a stainless M60 and it's dead nuts reliable and shoots many brands of 22 LR fairly well. Essentially, the M795 is a M60 with a removable magazine, and the trigger pull on each isn't exactly match quality, but it seems to be a safe reliable trigger. Not the most accurate of my rimfire rifles, but fun to shoot.

My granddaughter has been hinting around for a M-16 look alike 22. I saw one last year at Wally's before they turned chicken-sh!t and stopped selling the so-called assault rifles. In the rack without handling it. It looked like the real thing minus the flash suppressor. I've seen ads for numerous 22 look alikes. M-16, Uzi, AK, MP-5 and probably plenty more I'm unaware of. I have no idea how reliable or accurate they are.

My previous experience with a Ruger's 10/22 was disappointing, both accuracy and reliability. Ruger did send me a new mag that improved reliability along with a polite letter passing the blame on ammo. I foolishly traded away the 10/22. It now has some collectability as I bought it from K-mart in 1976. The Ruger like everything else on the shelves back then had patriotic Bicentennial markings. If I remember right it said "made in the 200th year of American Liberty".

I currently have 2, 22's I shoot. Both Sears, one made by Savage the other made by Hi Standard. The Savage is totally reliable and very accurate. The Hi Standard has a weird sling set-up that rolls it into the buttstock. I haven't shot the Hi Standard for years as it had a tendency to break extractors.

I got a Rom Mil sup bolt action that will hit golf ball at 25 yds all day and with cheap scope and firing from sand bags will hold groups at 100 meters that you can cover with a 25 cent piece but I was looking to add to the old collection and the price was too good to pass. I know that it is dumb to buy any 22 now ammo being as it is ...but I had to try.

I was calling my name...: )

karl

Go for it, especially now if the price is right as they wont cost less in the future. With new legislation and executive orders likely in the very near future. Your guess is as good as mine as to what kind of red tape we'll have to go through to get any kind of mag fed semi.

Cannot.."go for it"

I simply wont buy a rifle from a store that will not let me try the trigger.

Just wont...so I spent more ordering parts and restoring an ole SKS...I know how its trigger feels/

karl

Can't blame you. I left Wally's after hearing the "federal law" bs determined to never go there again. Being the cheapskate I am, the self imposed boycott didn't last long. After returning to Wal-Mart I was determined never to buy from their sporting goods dept. It lasted until Dove season. Wally's had a sale on Federal and Remington shotgun shells a buck or more per box less than everybody else I checked.

I bought the 7/08 rifle via the net to my FFL. Saved apx 10+ bucks but still had to deal with a crap shoot on the trigger buying long distance. Turned out I was pleasantly surprised with the Savage/Stevens non adjustable trigger. Pretty decent for a low end rifle.

Every now and then I see some good buys on used 22 rifles at pawn shops. My neighbor got a 1970's Winchester that looked nearly new except for somebody's initials bubba'd on the buttstock. If I remember right it was 100 out the door. I just can't recall a pawn shop not allowing me to dry fire.

The prices were more than fair.

it was a point of principle, you cannot buy a rifle with out trying the trigger.

Now if one of you guys or someone I know and KNOW that they have the knowledge and experience to make their opinion worth while, tells me that that rifle is ok..I would take the chance . But blind and after reading conflicting reviews? Nope.

Any way the time and money went to fixing and restoring an ole SKS so all is well, that ends well.

karl

Last I looked a couple months ago, 10/22's were $199 at Walmart. I don't think you can beat that.

A few weeks ago I didn't see any semi-autos including 22's in Wally's gun racks. They had a Savage and a pink Cricket 22's both bolt action. Hopefully Wally's dropping the so-called assault rifles doesn't include all semi-autos, especially 22's. 199 for a 10/22 is a great price. One can buy nearly any kind of accessory imaginable for the 10/22. If 22 ammo supply ever normalizes again. I'd like to get the Ruger 10/22 Charger pistol.