Military Firearm Restoration Corner

'98 Turk Hard To Close Bolt

powdr

Guys, I have a Turk Kkale action that I bought used so I don't know the history. The action works smooth but when I try to lower the bolt into battery it will not go unless I force it. Can't diagnose the problem. Could some body help? powdr

Yeah, I'd strip the bolt down to just the bolt and see if it is still hard to get into battery. If it is at that point, then something is too tight, like the lugs. If it closes smoothly with a stripped bolt, then start adding stuff back.

Some DyeChem on the bolt might show where it's rubbing, when you get a suspect area.

Another thing that may have been over looked is crud and cosmo either in the bolt or inside the receiver. Years ago I had a Czech 98/22 that the bolt would not completely close. I soaked the bolt and the receiver end of the barreled action in a bucket of gasoline overnight. I found a tiny piece of string floating in the top of the bucket of gas after I swirled the receiver around. Whether or not the piece of string was causing the problem or already inside the bucket I can only guess but the bolt closed perfectly afterward. Not knowing the history there's always the possibility the seller may have switched in bad for a good bolt assembly.

Powdr, just curious, did you get it figured out yet?? If yes please post details as it might be usefull information in the future. I see where another batch of Yugo Mausers appearing recently. We may see some newbees needing help posting here.

• 1 year later...

Hate to say it but if the bolt is clean working and the chamber is clean...a lot of times you have to clean the chamber a couple of times..but if all that is done and the bolt still wont close..the bolt is mismatched and you need a smith or a new bolt.

karl

One final  thing..take the barrel and action out of the stock and see if the bolt then closes...I once had a stock that had swollen..Once I realised that and fixed the stock I was ok