Military Firearm Restoration Corner

405 Win. In A Mosin Nagant?

Gun

I have a few rifles I am working on and finishing up. And I cannot help but wonder what I would like to replace a finished project with.

I was thinking about a Mosin Nagant chambered in 405 Winchester.

Any thoughts anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Spiris.

Hmmmm, so I will have to ponder this some more.

Should be fine as a single shot.

Look at what you'd need to remove from the receiver to make it work as a repeater (specifically at the bottom guide-rib as it glides through the lower locking-lug raceway). Even if you could modify the magazine, or install a replacement single-column magazine, you're removing a good amount of meat to allow the 405 cartridge to rise. What would the lower locking lug/guide be supported by?

Looking at it, I wouldn't attempt to feed a cartridge with a outside neck diameter wider than that raceway.

• 2 years later...

I'll bet it whoops your shoulder pretty good.

Actually not as bad as you might expect. The stock design actually is very good at reducing felt recoil and of course a pad. In fact, the stock is so comfortable to shoot in the bigger bores I used it on the .375 Flanged Magnum project. Also a MN action.

Currently I have 3 stalking rifles built on hex receiver MN actions. ALL came from guns that had been chopped up by someone else. I personally do not believe in taking a good military bolt gun and chopping it if it is a serviceable sample or can be restored to one. Just me.

The calibers are, .50-110 WCF, .405 WCF and the .375 Flanged Magnum. The last one was done a little differently as it has a solid rear bridge where the split bridge used to be and the bolt handle moved back.

If anyone is interested I can post a couple of pictures or at least I think I can.

I remember something here or another board of a 444 Marlin project in a Mosin Nagant. Can't recall if it was successful or not.

I would imagine that it would be some work to get it to feed but not as bad as the .45-70 project that was done a while ago. Somewhere I think I still have a link to that blog. A nice conversion for the MN is a simple 9.3x54R or maybe that is 9.3x53R, I never remember. It is a standard hunting round in Finland or at least was.

The Finns certainly know their Mosin's. I mean, why bother making your own receivers when all you have to do is go kill some Russians and take theirs?

There was an article in a recent Firearms News (ex-SGN) on a Mannlicher in that 9.3x50-something Rimmed. Don't remember the maker. I think it was CZ. Anyway, that thing shot really well, according to the article. Like MOA or better, if I recall.

Would love to see the solid rear bridge conversion.

Actually not as bad as you might expect. The stock design actually is very good at reducing felt recoil and of course a pad. In fact, the stock is so comfortable to shoot in the bigger bores I used it on the .375 Flanged Magnum project. Also a MN action.

Currently I have 3 stalking rifles built on hex receiver MN actions. ALL came from guns that had been chopped up by someone else. I personally do not believe in taking a good military bolt gun and chopping it if it is a serviceable sample or can be restored to one. Just me.

The calibers are, .50-110 WCF, .405 WCF and the .375 Flanged Magnum. The last one was done a little differently as it has a solid rear bridge where the split bridge used to be and the bolt handle moved back.

If anyone is interested I can post a couple of pictures or at least I think I can.

Nice work on the bridge. As a minor criticism, and it is certainly better than I could do but it's easy to throw stones, had it been the same hex shape as the rest of the receiver, it would have looked "factory." You probably wouldn't notice it with a scope on top.

SGN had an article a couple years ago now on sporterizing the MN's. Kind of a silk purse from a sow's ear thing. It was a good read.

In the SGN article, he kept the magazine, but eliminated the part that hangs under the stock for a smooth look. I take it those are single shots. 50-110. You hunt buffalo or something? That should roll them.

• 6 months later...
On 7/21/2017 at 2:15 AM, AzRednek said:

I remember something here or another board of a 444 Marlin project in a Mosin Nagant. Can't recall if it was successful or not.

That would be me. :ph34r: 

It was a thumper!  Whacked me in the forehead with the scope one day.  No, not the usual way, it sheared the mounting screws and thew the scope at me!   Its been years ago.  Don't recall all the details but it ended up feeding very well.  I think I did some tweaking to the bolthead, but don't remember details. THE problem was getting the barrel off.  I know it's possible, but after several broken tools and weeks of trying every trick I could come up with, I opted for the questionable idea of cutting ahead of the chamber reaming and brazing a new barrel as in building a monbolc for a double or single barrel break action.  Considerable care was taken to restrict heat from the receiver.  In retrospect, that is probably why the idea failed.  Solder flow (yeah it was braze) was incomplete to the breech and eventually the barrel began moving every so slightly.  I called it at that point and wrote it off to a failed (and potentially dangerous) experiment.  That thing would rock you and I'm not particularly sensitive to big guns and recoil.   Configuration of the stock I used was mostly the problem. I cut a stock for it, but it was a standard pattern. Too straight or short maybe. 

If you screw the barrel out and re-barrel properly however it'd be a fun gun!  Personally though, I just can't quite warm up to the Mosins.  Kinda like polishing a 36" Ridgid pipe wrench and trying to make it "pretty."  They're both utilitarian tools.  Excellent for their intended purposes.  Not so much as anything else. ;)

On 7/21/2017 at 8:56 PM, drhall762 said:

Photo_Apr_04_14_32_48.jpg

This is the finished rear bridge. Directly behind it is the cut for the moved bolt handle. The bridge make mounting a scope on a MN as easy as any Remington or Winchester.

That's a great modification!  I know this is an OLD thread, but if you're still around, might I ask how you got the barrel off?  Was it tough?  I experimented with one many years ago.  The barrel absolutely refused to budge.  I had a couple others, but never tried them so don't know if it was just the action I selected to use (I know they're notorious for barrel removal) or if there is some trick I didn't try.