Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need Help With Feeding, 308 In A Yugo

mr fixit

I recently had the same problem and I remedied it by slightly opening up the extractor claw. Feeds and extracts very well now, with no permanent changes to the receiver.

Kenny

Yeah, the extractor is the place to start. You only need about 25% of the extractor for reliable function. Begin by grinding off a small portion of the lower corner of the extractor and reshaping it. I have had to remove all of that corner to get a .308 to feed. Some others require just a little and some nothing at all. If that is not enough, work on the follower. The easiest fix is to replace it with a short action follower. Occasionally Numrich will have those followers, or you can buy a Remington follower. The rails are the last place to work, and you probably won't get to them on a .308. A magnum conversion will get you into the rails.

Clemson

1st For your feeding test are you using a casing or a complete round. I found that using a casing doesn’t always work and sometimes hangs up midway. I made up a dummy test round for working out feeding problems.

2nd I’ve also found that a weak magazine spring can cause midway feeding problems, so can a rough follower.

3rd Before opening up the feeding rails polish them and remove any burs. The very nose of the feeding rails has a half-hour glass shape if the 2 dipple areas are rough they will cause binding. But what ever you do DON’T file them out because there needed for alignment.

There’s a book by Raymond Benwood called “A guide to the drilling, reaming and broaching a bolt action receiver at home” available for free at JPFO.org

http://www.jpfo.org/filegen-a-m/boltaction.htm

In this book is a set of templates for making a gauge for the correct sizing of the feeding rails for a Mauser.