Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Whuzzis?

Clemson

A fellow dropped some guns off to be repaired/cleaned, and this was among them. He referred to it as a "Mauser" with a caliber of "7 or 9mm -- Hell, I don't know, but I have a ton of cartridges if you want 'em."

So the question is, "What did this thing start life as? There are no markings that I have found, and I have never worked on one like this:

UnkRifleFull.jpg

UnknownRight.jpg

UnknownLeft.jpg

UnknownTop.jpg

UnknownBarrel.jpg

FloorplateUnknown.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Clemson :blink:

Boy I am not sure what it is, but I just looked at a picture in one of my gunsmitthing books and that rifle looks exactly like one of the scout rifle projects he was working on. If no one knows for sure I will look when I go home for lunch.

What it is a Hungarian Huzagol 43M. Which is a copy of the German G98/40 which was derived friom the Hungarian Huzagol 35M. Essentially a Mannlicher with mauser bottom metal. Kaliber 8x57 unlike the 35M which was 8x56R.

Interesting to note that these had two piece stocks like a smle. I'd like to see how the one piece stock was dealt with.

What it is a Hungarian Huzagol 43M. Which is a copy of the German G98/40 which was derived friom the Hungarian Huzagol 35M. Essentially a Mannlicher with mauser bottom metal. Kaliber 8x57 unlike the 35M which was 8x56R.

Interesting to note that these had two piece stocks like a smle. I'd like to see how the one piece stock was dealt with.

Ok.......z you are just showing off now :P , but I looked again and the shroud is different on the Mannlicher damn close to the same though. Neat looking rifle none the less

Thanks, Mike! I have never run into one of these beasties before. It is a fairly slick, cock on closing action. It does have a very nicely made hinged floorplate. In fact, the workmanship on the rifle appears to be quite good. The stock is likely a reworked Mauser sporter stock. It has a Pachmayr pad which leads me to suspect that it was sporterized in the USA. I'll see how the stock was done when I take the action out.

Clemson

This has been a learning morning.First I'm schooled on a 358 Apoolo,and now want one,and now Clemson comes up with a Hungarian Huzagol,and I want one of those too! Looking down at the top of the action looks so much like a Nagant that it sorta spooks me,but the rest is a fine,sleek looking gun.That trigger guard is real purty and the checkered bolt decocker(I reckon it's there same as a Swede 96)looks good too.The barrel in the pic Sonic sent and Clemson's seem to not be stepped and has a nice taper to it.Like Z,I'd like to know how they handled the 2 piece stock.Even the 2 piece looks ok to me.I got some research to do on this gun.Jerry

Your right mike .....

Rod

That's the first time I've heard that in a week.... LOL. One of the downsides to working at home, I only see the wif e & kids, lol.

Rod,

Thanks for explaining the way the stock attaches. I know what these look like but never worked on one.

A customer of mine scored a 1903 Mannlicher yesterday at a pawnshop for $100. He's gonna have me work it over. That'll be fun.