Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Project Report

odies dad

Not a Mauser, but a good project none the less.

330646350.jpg

330646387.jpg

Remington 700 SA BDL with a 243 Win varmint contour barrel, Boyds thumbhole varminter stock, Centerpoint 4-16 scope.

This rifle started out life as a skinny barreled 22-250. A friend (Thanks Tim) who has more experience with Remingtons and all the neccessary tools, helped me swap barrels. The headspace was a little loose, so we swapped in a thinner recoil lug and it headspaced perfectly. The only flaw is the barrel stamping is upside down, but I can live with that.

The barrel was a gunshow find. It appears to be in really good shape.

I was out of Tru-oil, so I used some spray on laquer on the stock. I thought it turned out pretty good. Much faster, easier, and less messy than truoil. I used this on another stock and liked the results.

I need to get some ammo loaded up and hope to give it some range time tomorrow.

Took it out for a trial run today. I am impressed.

3 shot group in less than 1/2" at 100 yards with 90gr Nosler balistic tips over 34gr of Varget.

This is the first time I've shot this rifle, I haven't done any shooting in a couple weeks, the stock has not been bed yet, and this is the listed starting load in the load manual. There may be room for improvement, but I don't see much need.