Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Been A While / Coming Home To Build

fmsniper

As many of you OL’timers know I have been gone in Iraq for the last year, its been hard to get internet do to my remote locations, but I have it now at the JSS I live. I will be home in about 50-60 days my time is up, cant wait to get back to building, this board is the first I ever posted on years ago and have had a great time with many of you, so I am looking forward to it again.

Since I have been here I have been buying parts and also when I was on leave, my up coming projects are the following

K31 Retro

6.5 grendel in a AR15, with burris lazer scope for my wife, I allready have the upper and the scope,

344858654.jpg

344858658.jpg

And a magazine fed, 6.5x55 M1 Garand I picked up a barreled receiver from CMP, and BM59 trigger group from GB

346312097.jpg

and McGowen is making the short chambered barrel in 6.5x55, this garand will be mag fed allowing me to drill and tap the receiver for a top mount should be very interesting, the stock I have is a boyds laminate.

344713989.jpg

Welcome home, are you back at Ft. Irwin?

I'm interested in that 6.5x55 magazine fed Garand, it looks like a real winner.

Jimro

not home yet 50 or so more days, I am getting stationed in the UP Michigan to teach ROTC at MTU, I will be close to home after that I will retire, am getting to old for this Army stuff :P

good to hear from you Jimro, been a time

I have taken a liking to the 6.5, since I have been here in Iraq I have been working with a few companies on testing gear for them, one is Adams Arms AR 15 Piston system, works great buy the way and the other I was fortunate to see was the 6.5 grendel that one contractor was using, super accurate and vastly out performs the 5.56 rabbit round we carry, well I carried a M14 sniper rifle but thats me :P

the BC on the 6.5 bullets are very high compared to the 30's so they shoot flatter.but anyway I will walk you all through the project as it is being done, Ken at rock-solid Ind. http://www.rocksolidind.com/ has offered to help me with the scope mount for the M1 and he is supplying me the mount for the K31, he is a great guy to work with.

Fmsniper, good to be hearing from you again. The M-1 project really looks interesting. Will it be using M-14 mags or does somethng have to be fabricated??

I am going to use a BAR mag, cut it in half and make it single stack, that way I do not have to mill the receiver to fit a magazine

Are you stateside yet, fmsniper?

I know we'll all be more comfortable when you're safely home.

I am intrigued by the idea of a 6.5x55 M1.

What a rifle that will be.

We got a sweet Carl Gustav CG-63--the target version of the Swede '96--in the shop this week, and it's a beauty.

Good to hear from you,

flaco

glad you're coming home fms! where on earth did you get the idea to do a 6.5x55 mag fed M-1?! what an interesting mashup! and i gotta ask, is that pretty lady your wife? get home quick and safe to her...

heath

Flaco not home yet still here counting the days, looking forward to getting home, I love the Carl Gustav

724wd, yep my wife, she is a little sniper now she loves shooting, I am sending the barrel to mcgowen for them to make one they have been very helpful

I am going to use a BAR mag, cut it in half and make it single stack, that way I do not have to mill the receiver to fit a magazine

You really aroused my interest by the half of a BAR mag idea. Your project goes way beyond a tough challenge and you are really showing your ability to think outside the box. Hope to see allot of pictures in the future.

so, is the BM-59 trigger group a direct replacement for the M-1 piece? I assume this is still going to be a gas operated unit... how does the 6.5x55 pressure compare to the 30/06 at the muzzle/port? I understand for reliable cycling, the pressure is VERY important.

so, is the BM-59 trigger group a direct replacement for the M-1 piece? I assume this is still going to be a gas operated unit... how does the 6.5x55 pressure compare to the 30/06 at the muzzle/port? I understand for reliable cycling, the pressure is VERY important.

I'm just speculating but I imagine the location and size of the gas port could be altered to make up for lower pressure.

I'm just speculating but I imagine the location and size of the gas port could be altered to make up for lower pressure.

midway sells an adjustable gas plug for around 39.00

yes BM59 trigger fits perfectly

should be very interesting

Cartridge Pressure Standards

In the U.S., voluntary pressure standards for rifle cartridges are set by SAAMI, a member of ANSI. Most other countries in the world follow the standards of Europe's CIP (Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives or Permanent International Commission for the Proof of Small-arms, sometimes referred to as the International Proof Commission).

The pressures in the table below are rounded up to the nearest ksi, ie.1000 psi. Cartridges are arranged, approximately, in order of bullet diameter and then by case volume.

piezo crusher

SAAMI CIP SAAMI CIP other

6.5x55 51 55 46

.308 Win 62 60 52 52

.30-06 60 59 50 51

So the M1Garand should have no problem with pressure

also I am looking at ar30 magazine it is single stack? no modificaion to the receiver

as far as the gas regulater

Schuster DCM Adjustable Gas Plug

my barreld receiver is on its way to McGowen they are going to use mine as abase to make the first 6.5x55 :)

Cartridge Pressure Standards

In the U.S., voluntary pressure standards for rifle cartridges are set by SAAMI, a member of ANSI. Most other countries in the world follow the standards of Europe's CIP (Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives or Permanent International Commission for the Proof of Small-arms, sometimes referred to as the International Proof Commission).

The pressures in the table below are rounded up to the nearest ksi, ie.1000 psi. Cartridges are arranged, approximately, in order of bullet diameter and then by case volume.

piezo crusher

SAAMI CIP SAAMI CIP other

6.5x55 51 55 46

.308 Win 62 60 52 52

.30-06 60 59 50 51

So the M1Garand should have no problem with pressure

also I am looking at ar30 magazine it is single stack? no modificaion to the receiver

as far as the gas regulater

Schuster DCM Adjustable Gas Plug

my barreld receiver is on its way to McGowen they are going to use mine as abase to make the first 6.5x55 :)

fmsniper, thank you for your service to our country, I see you've been very busy 6.5x55 on a garand interesting. Can't wait to see your version of the K31. Regards Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Great to hear you'll be stateside again fmsniper! Really enjoy your various projects. 6.5x55 Mag Fed M1 Garand? Man, you definitely win the Unique Project Award for that one. Can hardly wait to see that one completed.

Well, get home safe, and enjoy your Family. Thanks again for your service.