Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Cz550

z1r

Here's a pic of a CZ550 in 9.3x62 I reworked for a customer.

I removed the ugly factory bolt handle and installed this nice halfmoon handle. Fitted NECG sights fore and aft, cleaned up the action.

DSC00689.jpg

DSC00692.jpg

DSC00690.jpg

mike that looks great! halfmoon bolt handle? is that a brand name? i really like the way it looks.

Thanks,

It's a copy of an Oberdorf handle made by Halfmoon rifle shop. This thing will look sweet once it is stocked.

That is nice, Mike. Which front sight is that? NEGC has a few. If you don't mind checking, how wide is the ramp? I don't like the real narrow ones.

It's their Universal. I think I have another lying around I'll try to meaure tomorrow for you. This one is already off to the stockmaker. Then off to Africa later this year.

I really like that rifle. Been thinking of making up a mauser in 9.3x62. Very interesting caliber. That person should be proud of that,you do some super work.

Thanks, I try.

The 9.3x62 is a real sweetheart. I prefer them on a Mauser actions just because they are a bit lighter but also have one on a Tang Safety Ruger 77. That is a real rough and tumble kinda gun. The integrated scope bases are great, just add some QD rings and you have a real nice "just in case" rifle.

DSC00708.jpg

I rechambered this little Husky M146 from 9.3x57 to 9.3x62 recently.

DSC00685.jpg

Looks good Mike. I'm starting to like those cz's. I've got a cz magnum here that needs some work. That's one of my latest projects, the first time I ever handled a 20lb rifle. Do you know anyone geared up to cut a drop box guard for one before I call Ted Blackburn?

Don

Looks good Mike. I'm starting to like those cz's. I've got a cz magnum here that needs some work. That's one of my latest projects, the first time I ever handled a 20lb rifle. Do you know anyone geared up to cut a drop box guard for one before I call Ted Blackburn?

Don

Don, no I wrestled with this one myself. The customer wanted to have teh bottom metal redone because he hated teh shape of teh bow. However, the stock unit is too narrow to do anything with. My only option woukd have been to cut the bow/rear tang off and weld on a new unit. this would have required too much time so he opted out.

However, I have some thoughts on the subject if you'd care to call me. It would take too long for me to type out, sorry.

In retrospect I wish I'd have installed the rear sight blade for the pic but I didn;t want it loosening up. It would have needed to be removed for the rust bluing.