Military Firearm Restoration Corner

H&r Model Mc-65 Usmc 22Rf Trainer

AzRednek

Got a surprise at my gun collectors club. I won the monthly display award. Usual winners are toys way out of my league sometimes guns in the six figure range. For some reason my rifle attracted a lot of attention. At least a dozen wanted to buy it. One firm offer from a store front gun dealer. Dealer offered me the same type only a 1950's commercial model plus 500 cash and he upped it to 700 as I left.

My rifle commonly called a Leatherneck, officially it is a model MC-65. It is WW2 manufacture 22 RF used only by the Marines. The story behind it is the Marines contracted with H&R to build a rifle with the same heft, sights and sight radius as the M-1 for state side training. The Marines being the ugly step child of the Navy wanted to preserve its supply of fresh 30 cal ammo. At the beginning of the war. Marines were hitting the beaches with WW 1 dated ammo while the Navy kept the bulk of the fresh ammo. Supposedly as I can't verify it. The Navy rotates its ammo supply. Old out first, new out last.

The Corps donated a bunch of the Leathernecks to AZ Game and Fish for a High School Marine ROTC training program that never got put together due to bureaucratic red tape. Az G&F auctioned these off about 79 or 80. I got mine for $115.00. I'm told DCM pitched a fit trying to recall these from G&F only to find out they had been sold.

Anyhow, I was kind of surprised when I won the monthly display award.

22-1.jpg

22-2.jpg

22-3.jpg

22-4.jpg

P1010023_zps3pnfkxw2.jpg

That is a fine Rifle indeed.

As to old ammo I cannot speak as we had the M-16E1, but I know that the was the OLD M-16 as even the ARVN had the newer one with the round flash suppressor, I did see WW ll ammo for the .45s and the flack jacket was Korean war issue 1951, the 782 (field gear) was WW ll as was some of the C rats I was told. This was in 1969 So I would not be surprised.

Glad you kept the rifle : )

karl

That's a cool rifle, Az.

SGN is running a series by one of their gunsmiths on restoring a 22 cal 1903 trainer. It was a very rare rifle and he basically rescued it from the parts bins. Made a new stock from a blank, etc. His last article, as he's retiring. The rifle itself was made in 1922, if I recall, give or take a couple years.