Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.257 Roberts

machinist1

Since you mention ALL bullet weights go with a fast twist, minimum 1 in 10". This will stabilize most bullets up to and including 120 grains. Some VLD styles may require faster yet. But then you risk blowing up the light weight bullets. I've always been happy with my 1 in 10".

Shilen amkes a fine barrel for the money. They are my prefered entry level barrel, by that I mean, I start with them and work my way up. Probably 75% of the barrel jobs I do are with Shilen barrels.

Thanks Z1r,

Midway has a Shilen .257 barrel blank on sale for around $130.00. I may try to do an octagon barrel. I want to replicate an early German sporter with an express sight, barrel mount sling swivel, and DST's. Maybe throw in a shotgun trigger guard. I have been looking at Great American Gun Stocks Freischutz Classic stock in English walnut. Opinions.

Thanks,

Bob

i have both a Freischutz classic & a oberndorf classic from great american. the oberndorf is a little bit more trimmer than the freischutz. the main differences are in the size of the side pannels & the schanbel.

the oberndorf is on a ocatgon barreld 6.5x55 project with dst's that will get a shotgun triggerguard. the freischutz is on a yugo'ed mod98.

you can see them both side by side in this picture

freischutzoberndoerf.jpg

The freischutz looks like a club next to the Oberndorf style and I won't say what the schnabel on the freischutz stock reminds me of. The Oberndorf stock is much more comparable to the German Suhl style stocks of the early 20th century.

The dst, shotgun style trigger guard and octagon barrel will look proper Dirtyjim. Are you going to putexpress sights and a metal buttplate on as well?

Vlad

Vald,

The freischutz stock can be slimmed down quite a bit. As it comes from Great American the side panels can be scaled down and the schnable more graceful. Not to critize Dirtyjims stock. I would like to make the stock proportions as the Germans did. As to the steel but plate thats what I have in mind. Express sights are a definate, probably three leaves.

Bob