Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Which One?

Sailormilan2

I'm getting ready to fire up the park tank and finish some rifles I've been working on. One of them is for my daughter.

I've sporterized a Yugo action and I'm now trying to decide which of 2 barrels to use.

Barrel #1 is a commercial Mauser Mk. X barrel, .243Win, 24", with sights.

Barrel #2 is a Adams and Bennett barrel, .257 Roberts, 22" long, no sights.

My dilemma is this. .257Roberts is a better deer round and can be used on elk. It fits the action better, But it's not as common, and usually under loaded.

The .243Win will work on deer, but not so well on bigger stuff. It's much more common.

She can handle either one. Realistically she'll probably never use it, but she might get a boy friend who's into hunting, and I want her to have something she can call her own.

They're both great rounds and you really can't go wrong with either one in my opinion but I do prefer the Bob just for the very reasons you mentioned. I've killed several deer with each and while dead is dead I've made good clean heart /lung shots on more than one with a .243 and watched them run off ,never over 75 yards or so and never lost one but if I were to use one on deer again I'd limit myself to neck shots as they will not run after that. Never had one take more than three steps after taking one behind the front shoulder from Bob. And the 257 Roberts will sometimes feed fine without rail work, never put a 243 together that didn't require a little work to feed right,ymmv. Jim

I go for the 257.

Me to on the 257. 243 for an inexperienced shooter with its more than usual muzzle flash and it packs a bit more recoil than the gentle 257. 257 perfectly adequate for deer but iffy in my mind for an Elk. If she's ever afforded the opportunity for Elk coupled with her inexperience using a 257 or 243. It's likely going to be a wounded animal she may never track down. If she goes Elk hunting in the future she either barrows dad's or better yet, gives you a good excuse to build another.