Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Drilling Scope Base Holes.. Question

weagle

I just bought a wheeler engineering Fixture to d&t mauser receivers for scope bases. The instructions are pretty straight forward, except it doesn’t say how deep to drill the holes in the front receiver ring. So how deep do I drill the holes?

thanks,

Weagle

i use a wheeler on mauser receivers and i drill them all the way through the top ring. with barrel removed .now be sure you notch the front support bushing so that it doesn"t hit the rail on the left side front..this may happen on turks ...... be sure the jig is all the forward so that you don"t drill into the top locking lug..

of coarse this is just my thoughts on a wheeler jig....it does a good job for me....

Well as far as how far to drill the front hole? Well it depends on what kind of action you'r drilling with the barrel attached. If you'r drilling a small ring, or a turk with small ring mauser threads, just figure 1" barrel shank. If you'r drilling a large ring mauser with lareg ring threads figure 1.100" threads. So just measure the outside of the front of the reciever and subtrract the barrel shank acordingly and that gives you the depth to drill without drilling into the barrel.

Thanks, I have a couple that I have already pulled the barrels on so it sounds like I just drill all the way through. That also means I don't have to fool with using a bottom tap, I can just use the taper tap on all the holes. the thing that had me second guessing is that on the Wagner website he says not to go all the way through on the front holes, but I guess he's refering to instances where you don't remove the barrel.

weagle

Caution,

Check and recheck before drilling.

The stop screw that you're supposed to slide against the rear of the receiver ring may or may not cause you to drill too far to the rear. (Thus drilling through the recoil lug)

I've quit using that feature on mine.

Caution,

Check and recheck before drilling.

The stop screw that you're supposed to slide against the rear of the receiver ring may or may not cause you to drill too far to the rear. (Thus drilling through the recoil lug)

I've quit using that feature on mine.

That was what that screw was for. I'm glad I never read the detructions. I put it where I want for the front holes then move it for the rear ones. If not the rear base just won't look right.

-Don