Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Us Mil-Surp Stock Re-Finishing

AzRednek

.I'm in the process of de-sporting a Smith Corona 03A3. I've finally accumulated all the parts. Before starting the re-assembly I'd like to do something with the bone dry wood. To the best of my knowledge all US rifles were simply coated with linseed oil. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Any advice or tips on applying the linseed oil will be appreciated. In the past apx 20 + years ago I spent a good deal of time rubbing the oil in, let it soak in, in direct sunlight and rub more in. I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with it. Would cutting the linseed oil with mineral spirits, paint thinner or ?? (suggestions please) and thinning it out real good speed up the absorbtion in the wood's pores?? With Phoenix's temps peaking into the high 80's. I can't use the 110+ temperature and sunlight I used years ago.

The stock I have has like a greasy dirt build-up. The surface is a light black color. A small interior surface cleaned by the previous owner with what he claimed was a WD-40 soaked rag shows a nice wood grained dark brown color.

The handguard I got from SARCO is as dry as a sponge and has some tacky surfaces that appear to have been left behind from tape. I'm going to try and remove the sticky stuff using something that will evaporate fast like brake-clean or acetone. If at all possible I'd like to use something that will not be quickly absorbed into and staining the wood

Years ago, long before Al Gore invented the internet and not having anybody to turn to for advice. I cleaned greasy cosmo stained Mauser and a Mannlicher or two wood stocks with dish soap, warm water and scrub using a soft brush. It would bring back the wood's original color leaving a few whiskers I'd steel wool down.

So If you're still with me!! If you have any advice or tips it will be appreciated. Hasn't been any new posts in a day or two so jump in and give your two cents.

You're on-track with BLO.

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/topic/16589/Parallax39s-method-for-cleaning-stocks#.UlXEnvFB5QI

Acetone works well with whitening (from a pottery store) and a heat gun to remove black stains from oil-soaked wood. You can probably get by without the heat. Just make a paste and apply liberally around affected areas.

I raise dents with a wet towel and the tip of a clothes iron. This method also re-sharpens rounded wood corners; I've made the rear-sight cutout on upper hand guards look freshly milled doing this. The edges around trigger guard inlets will sharpen too.

The cure-all for stubborn wood finishes is of course Easy-Off; it's a last resort, but it sure works well.

Got R Done

The stock cleaned up nicely with dish soap and warm water. After an overnight drying I saturated it with linseed oil and let it soak in for 24 hours. The handguard needed some aggressive steel wooling. The sling and buttplate are reproduction parts.

Between the odor of the linseed oil and mineral oil I over nighted the sling in. Wife demanded I remove it from the house. I currently have it stashed in my pick-up's tool box. P1010068-Copy_zps887fe688.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I hear you.

The Hippy has had a few words with me over "that smelly old gun " over the years.

It looks outstanding. : )

Have you gotten a chance to shoot it yet?

karl

We got to shoot it last week, very accurate. From a standing position my son nailed dirt clod about 6 inch in diameter at 200+ yards. I will never understand why women hate the very pleasant aroma of good ol Hoppee's #9. The 03A3 did stink but after a few days in the back of my pick-up the stench went away. From the way my wife spoke about it one might think it was cat piss. My son took it home and so far his wife isn't complaining as far as I know.

Guess they just smell things differently than we do.

Glad it worked out. The Springfield is on my list of rifles I have to have.

I remember seeing them for about $35 bucks as a kid.

Boy if I only had a time machine ...

• 3 weeks later...