Military Firearm Restoration Corner

K 98 Help Needed

TOMFIORINOJR

I have a K98 mauser brought home after WWII. It has been worked on, and many original parts taken off. I want to replace the barrel with another step barrel. I need the complete rear and front sight assemblies. I saw a new in the white barrel on Numrich site for $107.00. But, I cannot fine the sights. Will the sight assemblies slide onto the new barrel?

I want to use the rifle with open sights! I need all the help I can get to try and salvage this fine rifle.

em

I have some k-98 take-off barrels from which I could remove the sights. However, I need to know what "version" of the k-98 you have. Is it a Turkish 1938 model for example. If you already have the Numrich barrel, a picture accompanied by the outside diameter of the barrel where the sights will go will be necessary.

You can also often find milsurp Mauser sights on eBay.

Paul

I have a K98 mauser brought home after WWII. It has been worked on, and many original parts taken off. I want to replace the barrel with another step barrel. I need the complete rear and front sight assemblies. I saw a new in the white barrel on Numrich site for $107.00. But, I cannot fine the sights. Will the sight assemblies slide onto the new barrel?

I want to use the rifle with open sights! I need all the help I can get to try and salvage this fine rifle.

em

Tom, I also have a large collection of Mauser parts, barrels, sights and alot of other parts, I'm sure I could help you also if you could provide a picture of the sights that you need. If you are having trouble identifying your model 98, I might suggest useing a book titled "Mauser Rifles of tne World" by a gentleman named Robert Ball. If you don't have the book, it may be available in your local library. Please respond to my e-mail: rterps@comcast.net By the way, the original sights were secured by soldering them to the barrel. Keep in mind that the new barrel will have to be chambered after it is secured to the action. I would encourage you to have a gunsmith install and chamber your barrel. They have the necessary equipment to do the job safely and securely. Please let me know if I can help.

Sincerely,

Charles R. Erps

Custom Gun Restorations

Oak Harbor, Wa

Thank you for the quick responses.

The Mauser is marked BYF41 on the top of the receiver, and it has German markings stamped in various places. Therefore I believe it to be a German WWII mauser manufactrued in Oberndorf Germany. I think that is correct!

I am looking for a barrel and sights that I can use with this action. I thought the simplest and cheapest way to go about this was to try and get an original barrel in very good condition along with the original sights. That would make it a shooter once again. The barrel that is on the rifle is so corroded internally I could not get it clean. I do not trust shooting the rifle. The rear sights have been removed, but the front sight is still on the barrel. The steps that were on the barrel have been remove. Don't ask me how, but it has been turned or ground down.

Numrich has original military barrels with sights selling for approx. $80.00 which they list as in good condition. I'm just not sure what they consider good condition. I don't think I want to risk injury.

I guess I could get an aftermarket sporter barrel and have sights installed as an option. If I do that, I would probably make it a 30.06

The Mauser is marked BYF41 on the top of the receiver, and it has German markings stamped in various places. Therefore I believe it to be a German WWII mauser manufactrued in Oberndorf Germany. I think that is correct!

I am looking for a barrel and sights that I can use with this action. I thought the simplest and cheapest way to go about this was to try and get an original barrel in very good condition along with the original sights. That would make it a shooter once again. The barrel that is on the rifle is so corroded internally I could not get it clean. I do not trust shooting the rifle. The rear sights have been removed, but the front sight is still on the barrel. The steps that were on the barrel have been remove. Don't ask me how, but it has been turned or ground down.

Numrich has original military barrels with sights selling for approx. $80.00 which they list as in good condition. I'm just not sure what they consider good condition. I don't think I want to risk injury.

I guess I could get an aftermarket sporter barrel and have sights installed as an option. If I do that, I would probably make it a 30.06

Call or e-mail Numrich & ask about the barrels. They are very good to deal with & do not lie to customers. I`m very satified with things I`ve bought from them.

em

Since you want to replace an existing barrel and you are looking for

a frontsight and rearsight assembly, may I suggest to use same of

the removed barrel. If its the same standard model, you would be

all set. Greetings, Gunny.

Since you want to replace an existing barrel and you are looking for

a frontsight and rearsight assembly, may I suggest to use same of

the removed barrel. If its the same standard model, you would be

all set. Greetings, Gunny.

I can use the front sight from the existing barrel, but the rear sight has been removed. I need a complete rear sight assembly.

Tom, I also have a large collection of Mauser parts, barrels, sights and alot of other parts, I'm sure I could help you also if you could provide a picture of the sights that you need. If you are having trouble identifying your model 98, I might suggest useing a book titled "Mauser Rifles of tne World" by a gentleman named Robert Ball. If you don't have the book, it may be available in your local library. Please respond to my e-mail: rterps@comcast.net By the way, the original sights were secured by soldering them to the barrel. Keep in mind that the new barrel will have to be chambered after it is secured to the action. I would encourage you to have a gunsmith install and chamber your barrel. They have the necessary equipment to do the job safely and securely. Please let me know if I can help.

Sincerely,

Charles R. Erps

Custom Gun Restorations

Oak Harbor, Wa

P.S. Tom, after reading the rest of the posts to your topic, I agree that going with Numrich would be your best bet. I would go with one of their original barrels with the sights already installed. I've had nothing but great service from Numrich and highly recommend them. One thing to keep in mind, rebarreling a rifle, Mauser or otherwise is quit an involved job. You will need a receiver "action wrench" and barrel vice to remove the old barrel and also to replace the new barrel, and some of the vintage Mauser rifles have their barrels on so tight you would swear it's welded on! Please read up on this procedure and determine if it's something you are able to do. It might be more economical for you to use a good gunsmith for this part of your restoration. Please let me know if I might be of anymore help or advise.

Charles