Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Cocking Piece&2Pos Safety

scott63

Does anyone have a pic of a cocking piece that has been modified for use with the chapman style 2 pos safety? I'm hoping there is a way to make it smooth like a win 70, or at least half as smooth......Scott

My advice is to scrap the Chapman and get a Wisner.

I did one of the Chapman safeties a couple year ago but never used it, probably for the same reasons you are having troubles with yours.

I went to the Wisner and never looked back. I've completed 15-20 of the Wisner safties for myself and friends and other than making a new hold down bolt,(for the milling fixture) they are a breeze to install.

My advice is to scrap the Chapman and get a Wisner.

I did one of the Chapman safeties a couple year ago but never used it, probably for the same reasons you are having troubles with yours.

I went to the Wisner and never looked back. I've completed 15-20 of the Wisner safties for myself and friends and other than making a new hold down bolt,(for the milling fixture) they are a breeze to install.

Do you have any pics of the cocking piece after you modified it? Scott

Do you have any pics of the cocking piece after you modified it? Scott

I couldn't find any photos of the cocking piece. I'll look around the shop, I think I may still have the whole assembly.

post-200-126050520171_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

How tough is the swing safety to install with out a milling machine? I know its most likely do-able, but most likely tough as well isn't it? Anybody have any pics showing how they are installed? Thanks.

Brenden

Never mind..I found Don's post in the archives.

Edited by Brenden

How tough is the swing safety to install with out a milling machine? I know its most likely do-able, but most likely tough as well isn't it? Anybody have any pics showing how they are installed? Thanks.

Brenden

I had the swing safety installed but I'm not happy with how hard it is to engage, that's why the request for a pic of a cocking piece. I mistakenly said chapman, I believe it is a wisner type--pull back/push forward.....Scott

Brenden

I had the swing safety installed but I'm not happy with how hard it is to engage, that's why the request for a pic of a cocking piece. I mistakenly said chapman, I believe it is a wisner type--pull back/push forward.....Scott

If it was hard to enguage then is wasn't installed properly. Most likely pivot hole issues, the hole is too far back. The PME (Wisner) and Chapman require different machining. To remedy you can most likely stone the edge of the cp to provide a ramp.

Don