Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Timney Buehler Style Safety

Ron J

I'm sure this has been hashed 100x's and I even went through the archives with no luck. I'm stuck on how to install this safety in my Turk. Do I have to add another notch in the shaft that goes through the sleeve or do I somehow put the bolt back together in the uncocked position? Or I'm missing something simple.

Ron

I'm sure this has been hashed 100x's and I even went through the archives with no luck. I'm stuck on how to install this safety in my Turk. Do I have to add another notch in the shaft that goes through the sleeve or do I somehow put the bolt back together in the uncocked position? Or I'm missing something simple.

Ron

You should not have to modify anything.

I use padded pliers to pull back on the cocking piece to re-assemble.

Some people drill a hole through the cocking piece for a small pin or nail to hold the piece back.

With the bolt installed without the factory safety, opening and closing the bolt cocks it. Then it can be installed on the bolt with the bolt on the gun. I think that is how I installed mine. Somebody who has put many of these on will pipe in and be more helpful.

I simply put mine together in the uncocked position. [i hook the cocking piece on the edge of my table] Note!! Do not use the "boss's table"!! As when you remove the bolt thats the position it wil be in.. FWIW I got a couple of "forged" safeties from a guy on gunbroker, that really are kind of cool... good price too.. work like the "original".. MV

Thanks all - it's on and working. Stiff, but works. With my bad case of CRS, it should only take a dozen or so more on & offs for me to become familiar! Answering these old for you, new for me questions, is really appreciated.

Ron

Mine was stiff too. I rounded the edge of the cocking piece a little to make it easier to operate. What do you experienced guys do?

A. Stone the top edge of the cocking piece just a bit.

B. Operate the safety taking it on and off about 500 times.

Even a Model 70 safety is stiff when engaging the safety. You are, after all, camming back a substantial spring. The upside is that the safety is positive, fast, and silent.

Clemson

Jeeze, I musta been Foggy, when I last posted... On my timney style safety, I assemble the firing pin to shroud w/ the lever at 90 degrees from Off safe, to the right, at this position the shroud will screw onto the bolt body then since the safety cannot be rotated to Off, left, cause of the scope, I hook the cocking piece on the table and rotate the safety to off then go ahead and put the bolt in the receiver... Sorry for any confusion and also for such poor directions... Can say that my safety is Off at left as normal, safe and bolt locked at center, and safe bolt Not Locked at far right.. If that helps any... AW heck w/ it I'm gonna have a brew and watch the game!! MV

• 2 weeks later...