Military Firearm Restoration Corner

8Mm Ammo, Historic Narrative Video Produced By J&g Sales

AzRednek

The original 8MM with the .318 bore I believe was used in the Gew 88 Manlichers. I believe the Spaniards were behind the 7MM for the 93 Mauser. You're probably right about the current .323 bore 8MM being developed for the 98 Mauser..

Years ago, 70's I believe. Local range had on display a blown Gew 88 the shooter used German WW2 surplus ammo in. Besides the blown action the barrel was severely bent as the shooter's brother in a temper fit pounded the rifle on the cement shooting bench. From what I was told. The shooter had a piece of metal penetrate his lips and embed itself into his gums. must've hurt but at least it wasn't his eyes.

Interesting about Paul Mauser. The TV show Tales of the Gun episode on the Mauser brothers mentioned he lost an eye in an accident but I don't recall mention of any details. Had the Mausers been successful in building a semi battle rifle in sufficient numbers WW2 would have likely lasted longer. The G and K 43's arrived to late.