Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Pissed Off...........

spec4 e4

Ok here the story. I sold an M1 Garand to take my wife back home to Cumberland, Md. After driving 18 hours we made it the motel. Unload our stuff, then we head to her mother's house. Now I have a very strong stomach but when we went in to her mother's house, it turn it. The smell was so bad I wanted to throw up. But hold it down. We made our way upstairs and it just keep worst.

Has anyone seen hoarders, well it was like one of the show. I give her mother 15 months to get it clean up. It is mostly her husband that keep it that way but he has help from his youngest son. There is no reason why it is like that. My wife is upset and Pissed off.

No the reason why I am Pissed cause I sold a rifle to paid for a trip for Christmas and she was pissed.

Thanks for the vent.

aRob

As a mailman I had a peek in several houses that were simply unbelievable. Some houses had hoarders others had people simply to lazy to clean after themselves. Seems like the slobs were always smokers and the smell especially if they had evaporative coolers would turn a stomach when they opened the door. One house had a stench so bad police were called because a neighbor feared a dead body.Their freezer died and I guess they were to lazy to haul it to the dump. I saw two houses that county health dept haz-mat teams do a clean up. One was over run with cats. TV news said in excess of 200, newspaper said 400 including an estimated 100 dead ones. The old man slept outside and watched TV on his patio. He was found dead of natural causes according to newspaper article after sleeping in his van on a cold night. The other house, a rental was destroyed by two guys rebuilding engines and transmissions in the living room. I was told kitchen sink was used to rebuild carburetors and oil was dumped into bathtub. Don't know it were true or not as the neighbor had a tendency to tell some tall tales. He claimed they were arrested after being reported by a prostitute they stiffed. I never heard how the prosecution ended.

On the other hand I saw some houses in the older and poorer part of town I worked in for about 9 months that were remarkably clean and well kept. Guess it was the pride of ownership.

Rob I had a former father in law that was a hoarder. He refused to give up what he called "my junk" with a loud emphasis on "my". Most his junk not including a few parts cars, several engines and a beat up mobile home stroed in his back yard. Filled a large garage that originally housed two tractor-trailers and a car. The junk stacked 6-10 feet high with four narrow rows a person could barely squeeze through. I was told years ago the family pitched in, helped him clean it up and move a lot of the junk to a parcel of land he owned. After his residence was cleared he just accumulated more. Most of it useless and worthless beyond its scrap value. Probably wont do any good demanding or helping it be cleaned up. She will likely continue to hoard even more after it is cleaned up.

During my marriage I needed a starter solenoid for my Ford Falcon. I asked my F-I-L if he had one. Not only did he have the correct solenoid, he had a bucket full of Ford solenoids. I guess in a way of justifying the accumulation and value of solenoids. He demanded a $1.50 for the one he gave me.

I tend to "save" books and gun parts.

Gave away a ton pf books and ammo and powder and primers when i moved.

raised by folks who lived through the depression....still it can as we see be over done.

karl

Yes it can be over done but it nothing but trash is what I see. What bother me is the smell, oh the smell is nasty. Could not take it. On the way home I got a nose bleed. Had to stop a few hours to get it stop. I see if I can post pictures.

Rob

Wow, that's a mess! AZ, like I said, you've got more stories than anybody I've ever known. Imagine, a hundred dead cats in a house!

According to the TV news report most of the dead cats were new born kittens. During the apx 10 years the house was in my delivery route I only approached the door a couple of times and had no idea of what was going on inside. I do recall seeing the front door's peep lens moving but they never answered.

When the paid for house sold there was a govt lien on the property in excess of 20 G's according to a neighbor. My guess is the lien was for the haz-mat clean-up. I was away working with the fed health insurance during the clean up. I was told the house was gutted down to the frame and rebuilt.