Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Had A Strange Theft On New Years

AzRednek

I foolishly parked my 2000 Isuzu Rodeo on the street New Years Eve. Long story short. Throttle stuck wide open on freeway. I was forced to brake down to avoid a collision. By the time I got pulled over and cut the ignition I toasted the tranny. Fearing reverse might not work I left it on the street.

New Year Day I was going to take it for a short drive to assess the damage. I mistakenly and foolishly left it unlocked. Somebody got in and completely emptied center console and glove box. All contents were dumped on floorboard or driver's seat. Things of value were left such as GPS, loose change and pocket knife. The only thing missing for certain are the vehicle's registration and insurance card.

I filed online police report. I was contacted via email by PD and advised to contact state Motor Vehicle Dept and advise them of the theft. PD also suggested I apply for new plates. Guess now I have to worry about ID theft. I just can't understand why anybody wants info on a 15 year old SUV unless somebody has a similar stolen vehicle.

I would suspect that the police are right.

A. Someone is going to try to use the info for credit fraud

or

Sell it to a illegal so they can get a new ID.

Remember Berry said that they have to be in the USA a number of years?

Well if they have owned a car in the USA for 15 years...that is proof of a sort.

karl

I've had a throttle stuck open once and it feels like an end of life experience!

2nd time it has happened, both times on freeway with cruise control on but not set. First time was late at night and no traffic. I popped it into neutral, tach immediately red-lined so I simply cut ignition and restarted while rolling. As soon as I turned key to off, throttle closed.

The second time I was in heavy traffic and got that same feeling. All I could do was stand on brakes and at right moment cutting off traffic and swerved into emergency lane with po'd horns blasting. Got that oh-XXXX moment while trying to pull back into traffic discovering it was stuck into high gear.

I can still drive it using manual low which is most likely engaged by a band but as soon as I shift into D it goes into high gear. I haven't torn down a tranny since the late 70's. If still the same. Low in the D position is engaged by the clutch pack so my only guess is fried clutches. Manual low and reverse still work just fine. Adds up to a complete tear down. A tranny rebuild exceeds the value of the vehicle so I will be back to shopping junk yards for a replacement.

I would suspect that the police are right.

A. Someone is going to try to use the info for credit fraud

or

Sell it to a illegal so they can get a new ID.

Remember Berry said that they have to be in the USA a number of years?

Well if they have owned a car in the USA for 15 years...that is proof of a sort.

karl

Don't know what to make of it, strange. Wish I knew if it were a random or targeted theft. If I keep the SUV I will probably follow police advise. Get plates canceled and a new set if I get it running. I've emailed my insurance agent to see about changing policy number. Just wish I could afford to move out of the area.

I had a throttle stick on my bike once in heavy traffic, fully loaded with my wife on the back. That was phun. Killed it and coasted to a side street. I had to put a new throttle cable on, which I fortunately had with me, as I was about 1K miles from home.

Weird theft. Yeah, if you keep it, new plates. A used trans from a yard is probably the best bet if you're going to keep it. Try car-part.com.