Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Am Sort Of Thinking Of Getting Out Of The Hobby Too.

karlunity

It is strange. But I think that I am getting over collecting too.

I see that some other guys are starting to feel that as well.

In cali, till they closed it, I had a nice range and club 20 or 30 minutes away.

Ammo was cheap and there was a new mil sup French, or Swiss, or US, or German or Russian etc always showing up.

Now?, the closest range ..outdoor rifle range.. is 2 or more hours away.

No new Milsups have come out in a while and the prices have gone way up as has the ammo.

My rifles are as accurate as I can make them...where is the challenge?

karl

No money and health problems have stopped me in my tracks. I never was a collector but i certainly dreamed a lot. I would have liked to have bought military surplus rifles like they did after WWII or after WWI

How many mosin nagants were bought for $1.75 after WWI

My dads first rifle was a Stevens Favorite purcashed through the mail for $1.75 in 1933. No BS 4473 forms or FOID cards or background checks.

Its a shame he let that go before I was born. I would have liked to have had it as a keepsake.

Makes me wonder what happened to our country. Seems like were headed in the worng direction.

Ya, you should sell your guns to Cubans since there is about to be a whole lot more of them in your neighborhood. There are plenty of honest cops that are only seconds away from your door, so what do you need guns for? You will make a great poster child for Hillarie's campaign that will be starting a little later this year.

I took a spill on the back of a motorcycle about 65. I've been scared to ride since. When I was 13 I witnessed a 62 Chevy wagon pull out if front of a bike killing the driver. He went head first with no helmet clean through the large glass panel in the cargo area. I also lost two postal patrons to motorcycle accidents.

I warned all my kids, step kids as well if they ever got a motorcycle I'd destroy it. I only had to ruin one to prove I wasn't kidding.

Well, as my friend Papa Doc says, "If you're gonna ride, you're gonna slide."

Riding in Florida is some kind of death wish. My friend has family in the Tampa area. He took his large trailer over there. His bike stows in the back of the trailer. He took it out and almost got killed twice in an hour. Put it back in the trailer and called it good. And he rides in the Houston area without problems and has over 30 years experience.

Thank You guys.

I shall consider that. Back before she was a flower child, the Hippy had a Harley sportier and rode for a while.

Her considered opinion is that .."You don't have the reflexes..and i don't want to start looking for a new Husband. :( ..

karl

Guess we all consider the risks vs pleasure. A former co-worker wouldn't hunt deer because he said it was to dangerous, claimed he was shot at. He restored old Triumphs and Indians and rode to work nearly everyday on one of his project motorcycles. I'll never forget one day he showed up with vice-grips attached to a cable. He claimed it was more dangerous to smoke cigarettes than to ride a motorcycle. Don't know where he got his stats but he might be right.

With the anonymity of the net I can freely admit to being a coward on a motorcycle. Despite my redneck persona and name. I go to the Dr and ask, beg if necessary for a sedative before getting on a plane. Karl be careful, swallow your pride and follow the Hippie's advice. If you do ride follow her lead and she'll keep you in one piece.

Thanks Az.. Not to worry I learned long ago that there are somethings I know best on and somethings she knows best on.

Some stuff we have to work on together and some stuff we cannot work together on.

She is a much..much..much better driver or rider then I am and I am smart enough to know it.

karl