Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Caliber Question

trobi

i'm starting work(again) on a 98/29. was wanting to chamber for 308 or 7/08. been told that i may have feeding or chambering problems due to the legnth of the case. they say to stay with 6.5/55,243,257 . if i do this then i should'nt have this problem. a 257 or 243 is actually a tad shorter(oal) than a 308. is the case dimension where the problem is?

also, can anyone recomend someone who will rebarrel this for me? want to go with a lother/walther barrel

thanks , KINGSMEN

OPERA NON VERBA

KINGSMEN

i'm starting work(again) on a 98/29. was wanting to chamber for 308 or 7/08. been told that i may have feeding or chambering problems due to the legnth of the case."

Tinker

Well yes you "may" then again you may not.

Some do have problems when converting from a 'X57' case to an '08' case,

others do not. I have a 98 action in 308 that feeds fine and there are no

blocks in the magazine.

If you want something based on an '08' case, I'd say go for it and if you find

that you have feeding problems work thru them.

I recently built a 25-06 on a 98 action and it wouldn't feed.

It took a while but by slowly cycling rounds thru I saw where the round was being

pushed too far to one side or the other and removed the offending protrusion.

KINGSMEN

"they say to stay with 6.5/55,243,257 . if i do this then i should'nt have this problem. a 257 or 243 is actually a tad shorter(oal) than a 308. is the case dimension where the problem is?"

Tinker

Well I don't know who "they" are but I don't understand how a 243 could be OK and a 308 not when they

are both the same case.

I wouldn't think that you'd have any problems with the 257 since its parent is the 7X57.

Of course the 6.5 is in between the 'X57' and the '08' so it may work.

It might be helpful to think about the '08' in European terms as ' X51' as in the 308 ( 7.62 X51 ),

you could also think of the 243 as ( 6 X 51 )

KINGSMEN

also, can anyone recomend someone who will rebarrel this for me? want to go with a lother/walther barrel

thanks , KINGSMEN

OPERA NON VERBA

257 Roberts, and 6mm Rem/244 Rem are all based on the 7x57 brass.

The 7.62x51/308 Win (and the 243 Win) lacks 6mm of case length that can be a problem, but generally isn't a big problem. I don't even use a magazine block in my 308 Mauser and it feeds as it should.

You won't know if you'll have problems until you do it. Heck we haven't even talked shoulder angles yet.

Jump in with both feet and get wet.

Jimro

If you want 7-08 or 308 ballistics in a Mauser without having to worry about potential feeding problems, chamber in 7x57 or 7.65x53 and enjoy the marginal ballistic advantages without having to worry about feeding.

The only caution is that if you go with the 7.65 x 53 you'll probably want to to use a .308 bbl instead of the .310 that the Argies used. This isn't a big deal if you know what you're looking for buying the reamer and dies. The 7.65 x 53 is a REALLY cool chambering and way overlooked.

You might try ordering a Remington or Winchester made .308 follower and swapping it out with the 8x57 follower that's in the magazine now. The Devil's in the little details and sometimes something as simple as swapping a follower can really make a difference...

You might try ordering a Remington or Winchester made .308 follower and swapping it out with the 8x57 follower

This would probably do the trick if you ran into problems. But of course you still wouldn't have a kewl 7 x 57 or (possibly even cooler) 7.65 x 53. But of course you would be able to buy ammo at Wal*Mart which might be worth the price of a follower.

I'm being difficult. Jason is 100% correct. If you want a X08 based cartridge there really isn't any compelling reason not to chamber it in a Mauser. Chances are that if you're going to have feeding problems you would have had them with an 8x57 - we all do to some extent with these old rifles that we haven't touched.