Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My Poor Mosin Nagant

MajorPayne

These are some progress shots from last night...I thought Id share.

Basically last night I built what some might say is a stock. In the pictures its simply tacked together and I am tig welding it up today.

003-5.jpg

004-5.jpg

005-5.jpg

Its a work in progress.....when its done it will look a little more "rifle-like"

It is also getting the barrel shortened, recrowned, and possibly a compensator/flash reducer. Ive still got to order a scope mount (probably a Rock Solid mount unless someone has a better idea). Everything will be black when its done, so it wont look like such a monstrosity. :P Thanks for looking. Ill post progress shots after today as well.

Different, no doubt about that!! Unique, to say the least but I bet the end product will be pretty cool.

Thanks, hopefully it will be cool when im done.

Im sure it appears to be pretty "bubba'd" right now...but hopefully I wont get laughed at when its all finished :P

I'm sure a link to this thread will be posted on one of the other forums ridiculing you on the destruction of the history and collector value of a $69 rifle, but this has potential. I'm looking forward to the final product.

I'm sure a link to this thread will be posted on one of the other forums ridiculing you on the destruction of the history and collector value of a $69 rifle, but this has potential. I'm looking forward to the final product.

Im sure it will too. I purposely havent posted it on "other" forums for that reason...however I may post it just because I can :P

Thanks, and I will keep you updated. I bought this thing this past Sunday...so I figure when its done if its not what I was hoping for, I'll have only wasted a week. :lol:

Please note that I'm not making fun of your rifle in any way shape or form, but holy cow. That just looks like it may be a bit unconfrotable and my hurt a little when you squeeze off. But hey its not finished...MOVE FASTER!!!! i'm curious....and i've got 2 of the darned things that i don't know what to do with.

Brenden

MajorPayne, thanks for sharing your concept. I look forward to viewing the progress. What length barrel were you thinking?

I have a couple M44's, one of which I did a conventional sporter job on, with ATI stock and yanked the bayonet bracket and turned a bushing to cover. Good luck!

Spiris

Please note that I'm not making fun of your rifle in any way shape or form, but holy cow. That just looks like it may be a bit unconfrotable and my hurt a little when you squeeze off. But hey its not finished...MOVE FASTER!!!! i'm curious....and i've got 2 of the darned things that i don't know what to do with.

Brenden

haha, well no offense taken by any means...im sure at first glance this appears to be an extremely bubba'd job, heck it looks that way to ME :P . But, the butt plate used is off my savage rifle, and they make a limb-saver...so I will be using that instead of the hard plastic buttplate thats on there (its hard to see though). Should have it "done" in a couple more days. And by done, I dont mean have a scope, scope mount, and barrel cut and recrowned...that stuff will be soon though.

thanks

MajorPayne, thanks for sharing your concept. I look forward to viewing the progress. What length barrel were you thinking?

I have a couple M44's, one of which I did a conventional sporter job on, with ATI stock and yanked the bayonet bracket and turned a bushing to cover. Good luck!

Spiris

I believe Im gonna be going with 24" as opposed to the 28" unless I come upon some more intriguing info before then. I should have some more pictures tonight hopefully, if not tonight then definitely tomorrow.

Thanks for not laughing just yet :P

Thanks guys

I guess I need to get the latest pics up after my progress last night.

The versapod is mounted, I bedded the stock with aluminum pillars, I was able to cut some length off the buttstock tubes (it still has an acceptable range of adjustment), and altered the buttstock a little.

I should have the pics up later this evening.

thats not my rifle, i found that picture when looking for ideas to build a modern style mosin nagant.

mine is still a pile of parts. all i have done is moved the bolt handle to the rear & closed the gap in the rear bridge. i have a finned madsen lmg barrel in 7mm thats going to be threaded & chambered in 7mmx54r for it.

i have a mauser project with the same type of barrel, its still very rough right now but once i finish shapping the stock it should start to look alot less bubbafied.

post-277-1223746635_thumb.jpg

post-277-1223746704_thumb.jpg

Darn you guyes for giving me ideas. Now i gotta get the wallet out and get some supplies. Those are all nice looking rifles. I've been wanting to do a sniper version of a mosin just havn't got around to it. Major, thats starting to look pretty cool.

Brenden

Darn you guyes for giving me ideas. Now i gotta get the wallet out and get some supplies. Those are all nice looking rifles. I've been wanting to do a sniper version of a mosin just havn't got around to it. Major, thats starting to look pretty cool.

Brenden

Thanks Brenden

I think a lot of peoples opinion varies from yours though :P

Its ok though, Im not building this to get people to kiss my butt, or ask me to build them one. Im building it for me because I wanted an inexpensive/accurate target rifle that was adjustable and different than the rifles everyone else has.

Major Payne keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming!! I feel as though there is a coolness factor in it especially having bragging rights on it being able to say "I did it myself from scratch". Just curious, are you going to put a recoil pad on it or any padding at all on the cheek piece??

Major Payne keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming!! I feel as though there is a coolness factor in it especially having bragging rights on it being able to say "I did it myself from scratch". Just curious, are you going to put a recoil pad on it or any padding at all on the cheek piece??

Hey, thanks, yeah its getting a limbsaver tomorrow actually. As far as the cheekpiece goes, its made from abs plastic, so its not that hard....basically like a synthetic stock

I will shoot it sometime within the next few days, and assess things from there.

MajorPayne

It's looking pretty good. :)

Personally, I wouldn't worry about special recoil pads, I have a couple Mosins and the recoil seems very moderate to me, much less then a 8X57 mauser.

Kenny

MajorPayne

It's looking pretty good. :)

Personally, I wouldn't worry about special recoil pads, I have a couple Mosins and the recoil seems very moderate to me, much less then a 8X57 mauser.

Kenny

Thanks Ken, yeah I have shot it with the original steel buttplate and to be honest it wasnt THAT bad...but I ended up getting a limbsaver today anyway. I figure it cant hurt.

Ill have pics of it in a little while.