Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Question About Bolt Handle Material

GA1dad

I was going through my tool box at work and noticed a certain 3/8" extention. My imagination saw it as a butterknife bolt handle. :rolleyes: Not in it's present form, but as the base material for one. My question is,,,,,,, would this type of metal be suitable for the use as a bolt handle???? How do you think it would handle the heat needed to forge it into shape? And for that matter,,,,, what type of metal do you figure it would be?? It's a chrome Proto brand.

WEll its kinda high carbon steel to resist twisting hence hard to file and would probably turn purple when hot blued i would thing it would not be any fun working with it just go to t.s.c. and buy your self a piece of 3/4" cold rolled steel i wouldn't recomend hot rolled i did a set of scope mounts with hot rolled and they would not blue.

What is t.s.c.?

Yeah, TSC has metal stock, as does Home Depot, but at the prices you pay for a little piece, you can get 20 ft at an actual steel supplier.

I'd say that about any steel should work fine for a bolt handle on a 98 Mauser type receiver. The bolt handle only has the stresses of opening and closing and isn't a third lug, like on some other receivers. So, it shouldn't matter there. That's how they get away with cutting, drilling, tapping and putting a new handle on with a screw for a "bent bolt for scope" kit.

So,,,,,, since I work at a warehouse with 11 miles of conveyor in it,,,,,,,,,, I should be OK fabricating one from a worn out conveyor shaft???????? If that's the case,,,,, I got lots of material handy.