Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Latest Ar

ken98k

Nice assembly job on the AR. Some of the trigger happy types can burn through a ton of ammo in short order because it's fun. I've helped assemble my sil's ar-15 in 6.5 Grendel and his AR-10 in 308, and both are very accurate. He shoots them and I reload the brass. The Grendel is my favorite and is a fine deer cartridge.

Spiris

Ken if you don't mind saying. Minus the scope, how much did it cost you piecing it together? Are there enough bucks saved to make it worthwhile?? I'm seeing the cost of uppers at gun shows coming down but I'm also seeing some pretty good prices on the plastic lower rifles. I'd like to put one together for my Granddaughter. Even if it costs a little more with an investment needed for tools if I decide to put together an upper and install a barrel. Guess it is the satisfaction of saying "hey I built that". The same feeling of pride from some of the Mauser projects I did is what is motivating me.

If I build one I'll definitely go with a metal lower. I was thinking along the lines of a fully assembled rifle for comparison. The plastic lower AR rifles are priced cheap and according to my FFL. Can't build your own that cheap. The manufactures claim lifetime warranty on the plastic lowers but there is no guarantee they will still be in business to honor the warranty.

Az Aim has Anderson stripped lowers back in stock for $39.99 . I've built several on them lately their good to go. Palmetto state armory is a pretty fair place for parts as is Primary arms. And don't buy tools I'll gladly loan you mine. Ken good lookin little carbine. Jim

Looks good what stock is that?

Don

There are 2 of them, the fixed stock is a Ace entry stock. The adjustable is an inexpensive UTG from midway.

The fixed was what I was referring to. I have a couple lowers sitting in a box waiting for something.

Don

I like the Ace style but due to the lack of eye relief, the short "entry" version doesn't work well with traditional optics.

I have one of the longer versions on hand for my next build.