Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Gun Show Report, 2014 Edition.

Dr.Hess

We went to the big Tulsa gun show yesterday. 10 acres, >3K of tables. Got there when they opened at 0800, left just before official closing at about 1800. Walked the whole show. Dr.Linda walked about 90% of it. I'm whooped today. I ain't 24 anymore. There might have been 3 empty tables. The show has a "no cameras" policy, but every phone today has a camera on it. Saw people taking pictures with the "booth babes" who were selling signed posters of themselves in little clothing holding weapons.

Anyway, it was well worth the trip. We hadn't been since 2011. Some notes: Mil Surps are getting pretty rare. Mausers that used to sell for under a bill are now $350 and up. I saw $700 stickers on some and I have no idea why, because they looked like $100 rifles from 5 years ago. Maybe I don't understand rare collectors' marks or something. Of course, there is a lot of "wishin" in the pricing. Chinese SKS are >$350, and you only see one at a time. A few Mosin's but the prices they are asking are more than I can go buy one for at Cabellos. Same with the Mauser's, actually. I would have to say that AK's are "out." They are still around, but not in huge racks. AR's are not exactly "out," but not 20 on every table like 3 years ago. AR uppers and parts are kinda "in."

Vendors were overheard to say that while the crowd was quite large, the money wasn't flowing in proportion. Another sign of the current depression. I mean "recession," because we don't have "depressions" anymore.

I bought an upper. It's a 300 Blackout, complete with BCG, flat top, stainless barrel, muzzle brake, free float tube, charging handle. It was $350. You could get a basic 556 M4 upper for ~$320. Complete lowers with stocks were selling for $200 or less if you shopped. Now I need to figure out this whole 300 Blackout thing, get dies, bullets, etc. Never ends.

Lever action Winchesters are still a popular item. I saw an original Henry 44 Win rimfire with a $35K asking price. For some strange reason, Winchester 22's, S, L, LR are selling for close to a thousand. That's just weird. I'd kinda like to have one of those old Uverti's that shoot 45 ACP. Didn't see one of those. Plenty of new or near new 38/357, 45LC or 44Mag ones, including the "handgun" models.

Dawson had one of the nephews there selling knives. I bought a small utility/skinning knife. It's pretty nice. Carbon steel. He said that stainless knife blank steel is currently selling wholesale for as much as Damascus, so they have been shifting to a good carbon steel to keep things affordable. The one I bought is like this:

http://www.dawsonknives.com/fixed-blade-pocket-knife.html

but with the stabilized wood handle. Show special price: $150.

I did finally break down and buy me a quality scope. Yeah, I gave up on the cheapies. I got a Valdada 3-18x42 FFP Tactical mil dot, 35mm tube, first focal plane. I bought it from the guy that owns the company that imports them, Valdada. Yeah, I could have bought 4 complete uppers or maybe 2-3 complete AR's for what it cost, but I finally have a nice piece of glass. If you're not familiar with IOR, they use German glass and the factory is in Romania. The Germans set up the factory to make optics in 1936. They've been making them since. Here's a Hx: http://www.valdada.com/ior-valdada-history

And while we were gone, Sportsman's Guide sent me an email saying my $65 Hammers air rifle scope (my 3rd) shipped Friday, so I'll have an extra. Surely there is something else laying around there that needs a nice mildot scope.

Besides being worn out and broke, I'd say we had a good time.

I've never been to Tulsa. From what I've read since LA county banned gunshows ending The Great Southwestern. Tulsa is now the largest in the country bigger than Southwestern ever was. Got give you credit Doc for your stamina, covering the entire show in one day. I used to take three days at the Great Southwestern gunshow. Four days actually with the first day setting up. Set up day even though not open for business. Used to see plenty of cash going both directions between vendors. Some of the hard core collectors, Colt, Winchester guys and an occasional Hollywood or athlete celebrity. Would rent tables just so they could come in a day early, get a sneak peak and avoid the huge and I do mean huge enthusiastic crowd. I was sharing the work tending to four tables of military surplus.

There is usually a celeb at Tulsa. Last time we went in '11, it was the guy from The Virginian. Dr.L liked that show and talked with him. He was a nice guy, for a celeb. He said "We were just a bunch of cowboys that they hired for TV." This year, it was the guy from Grizzly Adams, but I didn't see him. Must have not noticed. They also had the photographer from the chase plane that was following the Enola Gay. I guess the radiation didn't bother him much.

With the uppers, given the Lego's like construction of the AR platform, you can swap out one upper to another in a couple minutes and have a completely different rifle. Like my 556 long range plinker to the 300 blackout short range thumper, for example.

I saw one table with no one there. There were like 5 or 6 pistol gun rugs and a sign that said something like "gun cases, 5 for $20 or $6 ea." I figure that someone just got them a table so they could get the 2 free vendor entrance passes and have early access and could care less about selling anything. It's a good idea, if you can get a table.

At the SW show more often than not we were unable to recognize the celebrities. Often with wigs and large sunglasses but surrounded by an entourage of groupies and likely body guards. The only one I ever talked to was a has-been named Phil Harris. The only reason I got his attention was knowing his daughter for a brief period of time. Phil Harris was a die hard Colt revolver collector. Don't know what happened to his collection after he died, likely went up for auction.