Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Recoil Pads On Fiberglass

BradD

I just got an unfinished .375 H&H on a Mk X, type D. I intend to make it a .375 Weatherby for when my oldest son and I go to Africa (I think I may have a lot of time to work on it the way things have been going).

Anyway the stock is an unfinished Brown Precision fiberglass stock. It has a recoil pad that I don't like and wish to replace. I have never done fiberglass or any synthetics before and am not sure how to proceed.

I know the pad is not screwed on, but rather somehow glued.

Does anyone know how and what to use to mount a new pad? I can't find any info.

I has been a good 20 years since I did a Brown Precision, but they used to be hollow foam filled butts. The recoil pads are acra glassed on. If you can get the old one off, you hollow a little foam out, rough up the back of the new pad and acra glas it on. Use surgical tubing or a bicyle inner tube to secure the new pad until it dries. A tube around the nose and down over and around the pad works well.

I did a High Tech Specialties stock last year. It is built like I remember the Browns. I did it the same way. LL

No, Ken, it came out of Wisconsin. Just a white Shaw barrel on it and the stock about three-quarters fitted and he quit, except for the brown white line pad I can't stand. Never finished, never fired. He got a neck injury 20 years ago and decided he couldn't handle big bores anymore.

Hope that never happens to me, I like big bores.

Guest Guest

Try acra-gel while holding it on with surgical tubing.

Acra-gel is da bomb. This stuff is the answer for just about anything that needs glued that won't move for 24-48 hours.