Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Stock Question

Kyle

I'm just curious as to why most stocks on bolt action sporters have a tiny pistol grip sticking out just behind the trigger guard instead of a full size pistol grip like those seen on many semi-auto rifles.

I'm modifying a straight military stock to a sporter stock and I'm planning on adding some sort of pistol grip. Would I gain any sort of advantage to just making the little pistol grip that juts out of the stock if I was to add a real pistol grip from an AK-47 or something like with the Mosin sporter below?

Would adding a true pistol grip as shown below put you at some sort of disadvantage when using a bolt action rifle or is it just not usually used because of looks and tradition?

It seems to me that it would be easier to just screw on a synthectic AK pistol grip but I'm thinking there is probably some reasons that usually isn't used.

post-460-1164247115_thumb.jpg

Most rifle stocks are like that for handling. They also look alot better, that stock pictured below looks like ass. A standard stock is much eaiser to throw up to the sholder and shoot in awkard positions when hunting. A stock with a full pistol grip will stab you in the back when carried on a sling in the standard postition. That is why most military gun with pistol grips have the slings on the side. The full pistol grip was to help with muzzle climb on fully automatic weapons, not somthing you deal with on a hunting rifle. A ak style grip just stuck on a standard stock looks like you wirst would be taking quite a beating on heavy recoling rifles. There are high powered bolt actions that have pistol grips. They are designed much different then just slapping on a ak style grip, copying a stock such as that would be the way to go.

Go to Boyds or Richards Microfits site and look at the thumbhole sporters. That's how they should look if you like that sort of thing! I sometimes almost prefer the straight stock of the spanish 93 [there are others] but don't like how they look either!! You know what they say about opinions tho!!! MV

A pistol grip is a common feature on precision rifles as well, from the PSG-90 to the AI series.

That being said, if you shoot better with a pistol grip on your rifle go for it, if you don't, then don't.

There are plenty of carries that will keep you from getting stabbed by a pistol grip.

Jimro

My Swede's and 93-95's with their straight bottom stocks carry an shoot just as well as the 98's and are a little lighter.I've always kinda liked the looks of a straight bottom stock.Look at the old English shotguns and double rifles that cost so much we'll never own one.They have straight bottom stocks.Jerry

Probably the reason I like straight stocks is that I started out w/ those types [win 94s and such] . Also the oldest son was here yesterday and we did some shooting. Being a lefty, like his ma, that style suits him the very best.. Problem is ... I like the looks of a well done, traditional pistolgrip!!! MV

If you extend your arm and clench your fist you will see that your hand forms about a 33 degree rearward angle to your arm (a point overlooked by John Browning on many of his pistols such as the M1911 .45 auto.) which tends to cause shooters to shoot low Pistol grips promote a fast, consistant grasp of the stock in a natural position for the hand. As they add to the cost of manufacturing, increase the chance of rejects from blanks by increasing the overall height, and use more wood from a given blank, they are often rejected by manufacturers.

Military Mausers always used rounded tips on their pistol grips as the flat tip of commercial pistol grips makes is akward to do many of the movements of bayonet fighting and the Manual of Arms. In addition pistol grips, especially those with flat tips, can be very uncomfortable to carry slinged. Many military bolt action rifles eliminated the pistol grip for all the reasons above. Semi/full auto rifles generally have pistol grips, some quite pronounced, to help control barrel rise and side torque during rapid fire.

On the other hand, straight grip rifles and shotguns handle more quickly from a hand carry position and are generally more comfortable when slinged. Bill

If you extend your arm and clench your fist you will see that your hand forms about a 33 degree rearward angle to your arm (a point overlooked by John Browning on many of his pistols such as the M1911 .45 auto.) which tends to cause shooters to shoot low Pistol grips promote a fast, consistant grasp of the stock in a natural position for the hand. As they add to the cost of manufacturing, increase the chance of rejects from blanks by increasing the overall height, and use more wood from a given blank, they are often rejected by manufacturers.

Military Mausers always used rounded tips on their pistol grips as the flat tip of commercial pistol grips makes is akward to do many of the movements of bayonet fighting and the Manual of Arms. In addition pistol grips, especially those with flat tips, can be very uncomfortable to carry slinged. Many military bolt action rifles eliminated the pistol grip for all the reasons above. Semi/full auto rifles generally have pistol grips, some quite pronounced, to help control barrel rise and side torque during rapid fire.

On the other hand, straight grip rifles and shotguns handle more quickly from a hand carry position and are generally more comfortable when slinged. Bill

Let me know if I have this right, a brush gun would be better with no pistol grip to allow faster handling but it would be best to add a flat tip commercial style pistol grip when using a scoped rifle for longer shots.

I'm planning on making two Gew 88 sporters, one with a 21 inch barrel to make into a brush gun with a LER or red dot scope and one with a 24-26 inch barrel and a standard 3-9X scope for longer shooting. Do you think the best way to go about it would be to leave off the pistol grip and cheek piece on the brush gun and add a commercial style pistol grip and cheek piece on the other?

What is your opinion of cheek pieces?

For the brush gun I'd recommend getting one of the excellent Mosin-Nagant M38s that are available under $100 right now. They're completely refurbished and the one I have shoots into the ten ring at 100 yds with issue sights and hand loads. It's a great gun and one of the milsurps that I haven't done a thing to and really cherish.

If you are really set on a Mauser you'll have more work on your hands shortening the barrel, etc. There are scount mounts available that will let you easily convert the issue sights. With a shortened barrel and stock work, you'll be good to go.

For the longer range rifle you'll have more work to do. What chambering are you considering? I'd think about a stock 6.5 x 55. There are great high BC bullets available, and lots of great examples of how to go about sporterizing here and elsewhere.

For the brush gun I'd recommend getting one of the excellent Mosin-Nagant M38s that are available under $100 right now. They're completely refurbished and the one I have shoots into the ten ring at 100 yds with issue sights and hand loads. It's a great gun and one of the milsurps that I haven't done a thing to and really cherish.

If you are really set on a Mauser you'll have more work on your hands shortening the barrel, etc. There are scount mounts available that will let you easily convert the issue sights. With a shortened barrel and stock work, you'll be good to go.

For the longer range rifle you'll have more work to do. What chambering are you considering? I'd think about a stock 6.5 x 55. There are great high BC bullets available, and lots of great examples of how to go about sporterizing here and elsewhere.

I'm not planning on using a Mauser for either actually. Both projects are Gew 88's while although they were built and used in Germany aren't mausers. They are basically a mannlicher design chambered in 8x57 and have a very smooth action.

I plan to use the original chambering for both rifles.

Wise choice staying with 8x57.You'll never look back and wish you'd went with another caliber.The cheek piece is hard to answer.I'm a left hander and have lived my whole life shooting guns with a chunk of wood on my off side I didn't need,so I'd leave it off.If every gun you've used had one and you are use to it,you may need to give it a lot of thought.Ruger 77's,Marlin and Winchester lever guns don't have monte carlo or cheek piece humps.There's quite a bit of roar and kick to a 8x57,so be careful you don't make it too light to cause you not to shoot well,although,when hunting and finally getting a shot at a deer or hog,you hardly ever remember the gun going off.Let us know what you decide.This is some fun stuff aint it? Jerry