Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Great American Gunstocks

FC

I purchased a classic stock from them in Myrtle. It was in their bargain section. I paid 100.00 for it and it has a very straight grain pattern, which I like. (It was pictured on the site.) I spoke with Henry who may be the owner, not sure. I asked if it was possible to send along some floor scraps of Myrtle as I had never finished or worked with it before. He sent 4 or 5 large pieces at no extra charge which I thought was more than fair. They also cut for intermediate 98's. I have only bought one other stock, a $350.00 French Walnut one from Fajen 25 years ago. The mill work is smoother on the Fajen, but it was alot more, a long time ago, so there's some value there. I like the extra knobs sticking out of both ends that they left on the Myrtle stock. It will give me something to hold against in my checkering cradle while working the outside. I also read a pretty rough post about Great Am. on another forum. But I also read that Richards and others take forever. I got this stock in about 2 weeks. All in all I would use them again. Long winded, I know. I try to make up for lack of experiences with details. Hope it helps.

Great American Gunstocks

I can't vouch for this company, but here's the link. They do lever action stocks too. I do see there's a dissatisfied customer posting regarding this company. Has anybody purchased from them?

They really are a crap shoot. I used to live about 45 min from their shop and only purchased two stocks from them and picked them out myself. I was very happy with the service, the manager/owner was very helpful, BUT I was doing business in person. I have read about MANY, MANY unhappy customers on the net and they were all mail order business. I would buy from them again, but just be prepared for possible headaches. Both stocks are supposed to be 95% inletted and I think that is a little optimistic, but for me I'd rather do a little more inletting than have a gap. It seems to me there are a lot of companies out there that have a really good reputation. BTW the rifle in the "Free Swede" is wearing one of the stocks I bought from them....Good luck........Scott

GAG has been a sore subject for me but I'll try to be breif.

I ordered a stock for a mark X cut for a lefthanded shooter, right handed action, what I got was was less graded stock than what I paid for, (from their examples on website) To top it off it was cut as a 98 so the triggerquard cut was long at the front of trigger guard,,,,,,,then after really lookin the receiver and barrel channel was cut crooked, no kidding, if you run a straightedge centered in the srew holes it almost gets out of the barrel channel at the tip!

So I call to get it returned, Henry makes a big deal about it but finally says ya, I send it back and wait,,,,,after a month with no contact I call and he says hes on it, but will need to charge an extra 60 bucks to "special cut" a stock,,,,I say fine at this point, I just wanted some return on my already 250 dollar stock,,,another month, call, moth , call, you get the idea, and it ticked me off because everytime I called it sounded like I was putting him out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,finally, 5 moths later I call, and finally just agrre to get the triggerguard cut fixed and send it back, at this point I felt like they would have kept my money either way!!!

Well 10 months later I have my POS stock back, I kind of forgot about the inletting and realize I really can't put anything into it but a super heavy barreled blank,, so I take a pic of the barreled action in the stock, how far out it is and email them, of course the say I most likely staged the photo, it could not be that far out,,,,,,,,,,,i kind of say to hell with it,,,,,,they are no help,,

will never do business with them again,, and would advise against it if asked,,,,,,,,give me richards,,,,anyother stock maker,,,,,just not them again,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm left with 280 dollars lighter in wallet for something i really cant use,,,,,terrible opperation in my book! sorry for the rant, still just leaves me sore!

Youngtrout,

Thanks for the tip, I "was" going to order one of their oberndorf classic stocks but I don't think I'll take the chance with kind of service.

Kenny

I would have to agree with, scott63. Work sometimes takes me to Yuba City. I stopped by recently and bought a stock for my takedown project. The owner, operator seemed nice and willing to show me around. He let me have free range on the racks. I was happy with what they had, but then again I was shopping in person. It seemed to me that they cater to full service jobs. He had a crew of people working in inletting guns. I have ordered form Richards, but my experience is jaded, I have received some stock I though were not the quality I ordered, but others were to be lower quality and came a much higher grade. IMHO. Thus I will be back to GAG in person to get some of the stocks.

Truly I want to bring stock making in house. After I finish my Octagon barrel machine, I have been working out ideas for a duplicator. Thus my long term plans are to buy unturned blanks for Calico and make my own. We will have to see if this is more then a pipe dream. SS