Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mistake That Seems To Have Worked Out 9Mm In 38Sp Case

karlunity

I was loading for the new derringer and picked up a couple of 9mm HP 115. by mistake
It was the best group of the day and best recoil...Older fellas on the net, some former police seem to have done that in the old days..I never heard of it.
it seems to work well.What do you think ?
karl

The difference in bullet diameter is insignificant .355 vs .357. I wouldn't push my luck unless the 9MM cartridge firmly headspaces on either the extractor or on the cartridges mouth in the chamber. Did the expended 9's primers back out, get pierced or look unusual??

If you hand load the 38 you can load it with 9MM bullets. I see all kinds of red flags using 9MM brass in a 38 Special chamber. I'll send you a hundred or so pieces of 38 brass if it will help.

Sounds like these. These are some S&W factory loads, with what I think are 88 gr .380 bullets in a .357 magnum case. They were supposed to have a MV of 2000 fps at the muzzle with an 8" barrel. All I know is they had an awesome muzzle flash with a 2 1/2" barrel.

357MagAmmo0001_zps8fb9bqcc.jpg

I think Ruger made a 38/9mm convertible Blackhawk. Two cylinders.

I have one, an early 70's Three Screw they are nick-named. Ruger did a good job on the bore. A near perfect .356. 20 or better years ago I got a deal on some mil-surp 9MM I shot up in the Ruger. The ammo was sold dirt cheap as the primers were to hard and the combustion pressure to high for a conventional 9MM pistol. The mil-surp 9MM ammo was either Swiss or Sweedish manufactured for use in a sub-machinegun. The Ruger's 9MM cylinder had no problem handling the pressure and best I recall only a few needed a second strike.

Karl I misunderstood your post. Thinking you were shooting a 9MM cartridge in your 38 Derringer. I cast from a Lee mold. A 125gr round nose flat and use it in both 9 and 38. Originally I was sizing the casting to 356 for 9MM and 358 for 38 Special. Last batch I sized them all to 357 for both calibers.

Using 9MM bullets in 38 or 357 brass is perfectly fine and 9's are usually a few bucks cheaper.