Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Caliber Choices In A Yugo 24/47

rdfrench31

I have seen this topic brought up a few times on the 24/47 and M48 (intermediate length action), but I'm not sure if any conclusions were reached. I have a Yugo 24/47 ordered from Samco, and I wan't to do a little research before I start buying components. I would love to have one of these 06 length cartridges for the Yugo...6mm-06, 25-06, or 6.5mm-06. I already have a 25-06 sporter in a Ruger M77, so I am particulary interested in the 6mm and 6.5mm. Are the intermediate actions and their magazines truly long enough to accept 06 length cartridges or will I have to settle for a 08 length?

I see all the posts against this but My first rebarrel was an 30-06 on an M48 (same length) and over 100 rounds later I still haven't had any of the problems I hear about. I did file the front and rear of the magazine a bit because I was told I would need to, I think it would have worked fine without the filing though.

Roy

I see all the posts against this but My first rebarrel was an 30-06 on an M48 (same length) and over 100 rounds later I still haven't had any of the problems I hear about. I did file the front and rear of the magazine a bit because I was told I would need to, I think it would have worked fine without the filing though.

Roy

That's good to hear Roy. So does yours feed okay? There seems to be a lot of horror stories about feeding issues.

6mm rem is on the 7x57 case... should feed like butter... no fitting issues...

heath

Heath,

I thought about that as well as the 257 Roberts, both should feed like champs. Have any of you guys chamberred a 24/47 or 48 in either the 6mm Ackley or the 257 Roberts Ackley? What about the 6.5X57 it should lay pretty close to the 260 Rem...correct?

I see all the posts against this but My first rebarrel was an 30-06 on an M48 (same length) and over 100 rounds later I still haven't had any of the problems I hear about.

Roy

Might not be a problem for a reloader that can simply seat a bullet deep enough but I wonder how it will feed with pointy, soft nose factory ammo??

I laugh when people say that their rebarrelled mauser feeds great. Half those that come through here feed grreat, that is if your idea is to rack the bolt back & forth, wiggle it side to side, and say a few choice words each time. Will you always encounter feed issues? No. But be prepared to deal with them as they do arise more often than not.

Some factory '06 ammo will indeed fit in the magazine of an intermediate action. That does not mean it will feed well. It also means you must limit your AOL to less than 3.300" unless of course you intend to massage the action and mag well. There are tons of standard 98's still out there, use one of them for a cartridge 3.340" long unless you are prepared to load to shorter than standard specs or use factory ammo that will fit the magazine.

the .257 and 6mm rem are slam dunks in these actions as is the 6.5x57.

Thanks for all the comments guys...there is clearly not a cut and dry answer to my question regarding the 06 cartridges. I definitely want a rifle that feeds like it should, and I don't want to limit myself with OAL (though I always roll my own rounds anyhow) as I like to play with the bullet jump for accuracy.

z1r, Have you chambered any of the X57 calibers as improved? If so does it hamper feeding much?

My best bet will probably be to make some dummy rounds for the calibers I'm interested in and see how well my particular action cycles. Does this sound plausable?

My ammo is usually 150 gr. remington or american eagle 30-06 . side by side with a stock m48 it takes a little more pressuce to cycle but I have other mausers that take slightly more pressure to cycle with out a new barrel, albeit not a weatherby but I did'nt build my weatherby in my basement before I had any real tools :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about all the bad feeding mausers out there though, if it won't feed its not done.

I haven't had a whole lot of problems that people on this board haven't been able to help me with but

even after all I have heard, my rifle still seems to cycle fine ;)

Roy

My best bet will probably be to make some dummy rounds for the calibers I'm interested in and see how well my particular action cycles. Does this sound plausable?

Yes, when I started building my -06 I pulled 5 1909 actions and only one would feed it properly as is. All would feed, but why not start with the one that's closest to already being there. I'd rather polish feed rails than grind if posible.

-Don

Thanks for all the comments guys...there is clearly not a cut and dry answer to my question regarding the 06 cartridges. I definitely want a rifle that feeds like it should, and I don't want to limit myself with OAL (though I always roll my own rounds anyhow) as I like to play with the bullet jump for accuracy.

z1r, Have you chambered any of the X57 calibers as improved? If so does it hamper feeding much?

That's a pretty good idea but until you really have a barrel on it you'll never really know just how it feeds. The AI cartridges generally require more work and need the feed rails opened up near the shoulder. The cases are wider there and will tend to start moving over at too steep an angle. I generally avoid AI cartridges because to me they are not worth the paltry gains. But, if you want one, just be prepared to do a little extra work on the rails. They are doable but are not a simple rebarrel.

As to the '06 question, you just answered it yourself, so yes, there is a clear cut answer. You like to play with the seating depth and don't want to limit yourself with OAL. Well, that's exactly what you'll be doing by using an intermediate length action.

Mauser made most of their commercial 7x57's on intermediate actions. Those in the know, seek out the relative few that they made on standard length actions so they can seat the long 175's out further.

That's a pretty good idea but until you really have a barrel on it you'll never really know just how it feeds.

True but a little trick you can use is to cut off an old barrel's threaded stub and bore or drill out to the same size as the body of the case you want to use. That will simulate the barrel being in place to guide the front of the cartridge. You really only need 2, one for standard and one for magnum cartridges. If it will feed with the stub it will feed with the barrel whenever you get it. If there is a problem once the barrel is installed it is most likely your chambering or the chamfer on the edge of the chamber not the feed rails.

-Don

True but a little trick you can use is to cut off an old barrel's threaded stub and bore or drill out to the same size as the body of the case you want to use. That will simulate the barrel being in place to guide the front of the cartridge. You really only need 2, one for standard and one for magnum cartridges. If it will feed with the stud it will feed with the barrel whenever you get it. If there is a problem once the barrel is installed it is most likely your chambering or the chamfer on the edge of the chamber not the feed rails.

-Don

Right, you need something that simulates a chamber even if it is the original. I just didn't want people thinking that they can attach the bottom metal, cycle the action, and get an idea of how things will feed.

I converted a VZ24 to 300 Win mag and made up dummy ammo with Hornady 220 gr Round nose, becuase I have a huge number of these blems.

I cut on the lips until it fed perfectly, even upside down.

I shot single shot at the range with 180 gr TSX pointed bullets.

Then I went hunting, only to find out it did not feed right with pointed bullets.

The tip of the top cartridge in the magazine could get caught between the receiver and the front of the magazine box.

What does it all mean?

One must practice feeding with dummy cartridges just like the ones that will be used.

What have been your guys experience with accuracy in the x57 cartridges? Specifically the 6.5x57.

Poor, that's why we keep recommending them. :P

Here's a group I fired with open sights at 100 yds. P1010101.jpg

I've yet to not get better than MOA from any of my Xx57 based rounds. And remember, all my rifles have sporter weight barrels.

Heck, just yesterday I took an 80+ year old Sporter to the range. I had just rechambered it to 8x60 and with the fairly hard to see sights at an indoor range (poor lighting) I was shooting better groups than the guy inthe next stall who was shooting a scoped mini 14. Yeah, not apples to oranges but you get the idea. The accuracy is there, you just need the right assembly of parts.

My 6.5x57 is still in the works but friends that have them love them and say they are every bit as accurate as the 6.5x55.

Here's a group I fired with open sights at 100 yds. P1010101.jpg

I've yet to not get better than MOA from any of my Xx57 based rounds. And remember, all my rifles have sporter weight barrels.

Heck, just yesterday I took an 80+ year old Sporter to the range. I had just rechambered it to 8x60 and with the fairly hard to see sights at an indoor range (poor lighting) I was shooting better groups than the guy inthe next stall who was shooting a scoped mini 14. Yeah, not apples to oranges but you get the idea. The accuracy is there, you just need the right assembly of parts.

My 6.5x57 is still in the works but friends that have them love them and say they are every bit as accurate as the 6.5x55.

Looks good z...this one will be a sporter as well. This is my first attempt at my own build, so I have a lot of questions. I just want a good solid performing deer caliber, but I can't live with substandard groups.

Not to hijack here, but what's a 8 x 60? Are cases available?

8x60S

The case was designed afetr WWI. The Germans werent allowed 8x57's, so, they came up with this cartridge which is essentially a 3mm longer 8x57. A simple reaming of the chamber was all that was needed. It falls smack dab in the middle of the 8x57 and 8mm-06 (8x63). Main reason I did one was that chicks dig it. Well, that and the ultra cool sporter I picked up had excess headspace.