Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Chilean Mauser

scott63

Anybody use a Chilean Mauser to sporterize into a hunting rifle? Any pics? I picked up a badly sportered all number matching rifle by DWM, has the original barrel but the bolt handle was butchered and the stock is junk. I'm thinking a .250 Savage with a nice featherweight barrel since I already have dies and brass for this caliber, otherwise it would be a 7X57 with a sporter barrel. Any thoughts?......................Scott

I think with a new bolt, unless the old is salvagable, it would make a dandy 250. Correct thinking if you ask me. Or stick with book load 7x57's and it will also be nice.

Pics.

I have a Chileano w/ the 7X57 bbl on it .. been cut back to abt 19" which I do not prefer.. but she makes a great shooter... been braggin' on it for awhile now.. as that is the one we shoot the most cast bullets from.. and it don't miss.. only the shooter screws it up!! I do however .. very much lust after a 257 bob or a savage!! Very sound proposition for that platform!! MV

Here's a 7X57 I put together last winter.

I have added a Weaver K-4 since these photos were taken.

OldBones001.jpg

OldBones002.jpg

OldBones003.jpg

OldBones004.jpg

Kenak2, that is very nice work. Here is a couple pics of the bolt, if it wasn't for the stepped barrel I'd just cut it down, but I'd rather go with a real lightweight barrel.

post-472-1199078701_thumb.jpg

post-472-1199078719_thumb.jpg

post-472-1199078732_thumb.jpg

I have a Chilean still with 7x57 issue barrel,in a Choate stock,and it is a dang good little deer plunker.I'd sure like to put a .257 barrel on it someday.6.5x55 Swede is my all time favorite Mauser cal.,and I have 3,so a .257 would be nice.With a new bolt hande and .250 barrel,you'll be cooking with gas. Jerry

Scott

I used a stepped military barrel (Belgian manufacture) that I recontoured.

It was one of my very first lathe project and took me all chirstmas day last year.

I remember it well because I almost lost a thumb by squeasing too tightlyon a piece of sand paper while turning. (I did loose the nail)

OldBones007.jpg

The bolt looks good, the root seems not to be altered. Weld a new handle on it, that and a featherweight 250 barrel and you'll be on your way.

-Don

Ditto!

Kenny,did you do the bolt handle on that Chilean? Jerry

Jerry

Yes, I did the bolt handle, sort of.

I got it all set up in a jig, then had it tig welded on by a professional welder, then I shaped and finished it.

Kenny

Jerry

Yes, I did the bolt handle, sort of.

I got it all set up in a jig, then had it tig welded on by a professional welder, then I shaped and finished it.

Kenny

I would like to have a stock semi-inletted from wood that I have. Does anyone know of any stock makers that could do a semi-inlet in the shape of a Win Mod 70 Featherweight, but for a 95 mauser? Thanks..............Scott