Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Newbie Question

wfpack14

Ok so this was all really good information, but I am now confused, I am going to get my C&R, I order the Mauser Book, And I joined this site. Now what I need to know is what is the best first project for me to tackle, what would be the easiest action to start with and so forth. I know everyone has their opinions but I want to hear them. Thanks

If this is your first project I strongly encourage you keep it as simple as possible. I suggest keeping it in it's original caliber and build your first with the original barrel. You can get your feet wet by installing a new after market sporter stock, adding a recoil pad or re-shape and finsish the militarty wood. If the budget allows it you can have the barrel cut and crowned and depending on which route you go. Bending the bolt and adding scope mounts or go with iron sights. Other options are adjustable trigger, wood checkering, mag floor plate modifications (from Don of coarse!!) polish and blueing or various other finishes. Some you can easily do yourself, and really to many to list once you get hooked and the hobby has it's claws firmly embedded into you.

Don't get hung up on caliber, if you get hooked into rifle building there will be plenty more projects and after you have some experience and knowledge you can build that dream gun in 300 Wiiny. The 8MM, the caliber most Mausers are chambered for is no slouch, power wise. I rate it somewhere in between 308 and 30/06. It is definitely an excellent choice for Muslim terrorists, deer and larger sized game animals. Perfectly suitable for hunting anything in North America with the only possible exception of maybe Polar Bear. You can also take advantage of low cost surplus ammo and keep it as a simple range toy. If you're a reloader you can do some amazing things with the 8MM.

I've seen numerous unfinished projects at gun shows and have a few friends that start by building a belted mag howitzer only to get discouraged the first time something goes wrong, loose interest and never complete it.

That is what I am starting to think the plan will be be, I will have to find a surplus and keep it original for now other then some metal finish, maybe a new stock and stuff, what is a good one to start with? Stuff that is readily available and has alot of aftermarket parts availble. Thanks

I'm of the opinion that one should not settle for less than they really want.

Tell us, what do you want? Simply to build a rifle? Or have you a specific chambering, style, or purpose in mind for it?

I ask because while we all need to work within our limits we must first define those limits. This thread has gotten long so forgive my laziness in not wanting to go back and re-read it all to determine what you can and cannot do.

Some people like sporters with the military stepped barrels and some do not. I build guns to other people's specs all the time so I have no real opinion unless asked. If that style appeals to you then that is a very good way to get your feet wet. If not, then define what you want. What you can do, and what you will have to hire out. Do you just want iron sights, do you need a scope, how about both? If you scope it, you are gonna want a new bolt handle, unless you go with a scout mount or Empire State building rings. Starting to see why I said define what you want?

If I remember correctly, Flaco's first build was on a 1909 Argentine and he built a real nice looking rig, that shot real well too. He did the stock work and some metal work and farmed out what he couldn't. Now, if our resident coffee house visiting, photo taking, Cali-liberal :P can do it.........

By the way, he takes great photos!

Hope that helps.

I agree w/ z1r and az on this one. I believe not in settling for less than you want, but everyone who owns a gun should have a good 8mm mauser, expecially if its sporterizied. This is where i started out. started w/a m48 yugo, striped the stock, took out all the nicks and scratches, re-blued, added a scope mount, and a scout style red dot. Simple enough, and cost efficient. I then decided i like what i could do or have done, so then came the custom .308. I'd suggest fooling around a litlle bit, re-do some old guns w/little value that you can afford to screw up on if you do. Then when you get good, re-do guns for other people. I've done this and made a good profit from it. Everything from a beat up remington 700 bdl to a colt 38 pistol. Its amazing how one can start out on an old single shot scatter gun, and learn enough to do the wood and metal work on a very nice first "custom gun". Then after you get one under your belt, and decide this is what you want and love to do, build a 25-06. Best gun i've ever owned. but do as you please, a specific gun/cal. combination is something one can take pride in, but i take alot of pride in my m48 that i "customized"

brenden ;)

Ok,

I have been thinking about it and I am pretty sure I know what I want. I re-evaluated my collection and Would like a 308, with a scope, I want a 3 position safety. I will be doing as much work as possible my self, other then the action trueing and the rebarrel. So now that I finaly got it figured out what would be a good donor. Thanks guys you have been very patient with my indesisivnes.

Well, the manager proceeded to order too much .35 Rem and not nearly enough .30-30 ammo. I finally had a talk with him about it and lo and behold, I became the guy in charge of placing the pre-season ammo orders.

Back in the early 70's, Sunset Sporting Goods had several stores in the Phoenix area. A store manager ordered the ammo for the entire chain. He ordered 38 S&W instead of Special, 45 Auto Rim instead of ACP and the best were hundreds of boxes of 22 Longs instead of 22 Long Rifle. Friend of mine scarfed up the 45 Auto Rim, the store clerk after telling us about the dilemma told us he was buying the Auto Rim way below cost as they couldn't return or sell it. I bet the 22 Longs are still sitting around somewhere today.

Can't argue with that point especially when spending somebody else's money!! Here is a good place to start shopping for parts, tools, books and after market accessories. http://www.sporterexpress.com/v2/

I believe not in settling for less than you want, but everyone who owns a gun should have a good 8mm mauser,

That's they way it usually happens, at least in my generation. 8MM's like 30/30's and at least one side by double barrel shotgun belong in everybody's vault. Kind of like having more than one handgun without at least one being a 357. I own some 8's I purchased simply for the action. After cleaning out the grease and looking down the bright and shiny bore I left them in the original military configuration. Just couldn't bring myself to sportorize them or remove the very shootable barrel.

QUOTE (z1r @ Jan 8 2008, 11:17 PM)

Can't argue with that point especially when spending somebody else's money!! Here is a good place to start shopping for parts, tools, books and after market accessories. http://www.sporterexpress.com/v2/

Exactly.

Seriously an M48 or better yet, 24/47 would be a good starting point. The 24/47's are still pretty cheap. Of course, if you can find a standard length action at a similar price, you can go that way too. The K.Kale turks can be picked up pretty cheap as can the Turk 1903's. Action choice also depends on what barrel you want. for example, some folks get it in their head they need to satrt with a short chambered & threaded barrel Well, that's true if you plan on fitting the barrel yourself and hand reaming. In which case you will want to stick with a LR98 of standard configuration. But, if you plan on having that part of the job done then it doesn't matter because the smith can thread a blank to fit any action you pick up.

When I search for donor actions I generally avoid actions that have been altered by someone else. I've seen a lot of actions for sale that have been ruined by someone's attempts at sporterizing. If the action is wearing scope bases I usually pass. I'd prefer to see it without bases so I can assess the condition & placment of the holes. My favorite donors are basically untouched except that either the issue stock has been cut or they plopped the barreled action into an aftermarket stock. If they've replaced the sights, I avoid it, if the sights were of the screw on type. Seen too many holes driiled darn near through the bb.

Anyway, that's how I shop.

I own some 8's I purchased simply for the action. After cleaning out the grease and looking down the bright and shiny bore I left them in the original military configuration. Just couldn't bring myself to sportorize them or remove the very shootable barrel.

That happens to me a lot too. I kinda chuckle too when folks scoff at the US factory loads fo rteh 8x57. Sure, they're under loaded. But hey, a 170 grain bullet at near 2500 fps will get the job done. I use teh factory stuff in my 8x57 96's. It shoots real good too.

Did I post pics of the 1902 dated winchester 94 I picked up? If not I'll try to get some up soon in the commercial forum.

That happens to me a lot too. I kinda chuckle too when folks scoff at the US factory loads fo rteh 8x57.

I shot allot of it. Back in the 70's after President Carter stopped imported military ammo and the USA ammo manufactures wouldn't sell empty brass. There wasn't any choice but to buy the loaded ammo and save the brass. At the time the only source of new unloaded brass was from Norma and it's price was close to loaded box of Remington, Federal or Winchester. The USA made 8MM was extremely accurate and my friends and I used to shoot it in some real worn out junkers. The USA 8MM ammo usually didn't follow the mil-surp sights to well vertically but the right and left horizontal was right on. It would print some tight groups anywhere from 6-10 inches high or low at 1-200 yards depending on the rifle. The Remington Corelockets (spell??) and Winchester Silver Tips had the same impact point on the target. Best I recall the Federal which we bought in Western Auto boxes shot higher or lower, can't recall which, than the others.