Military Firearm Restoration Corner

A Wildcat Mauser

trobi

i'm still looking at options on rebarreling this 98/29. was thinking about either 257 or 6.5x55 but i was wondering about going to a wild cat cartrige. my questions are , if i have the reciever and bolt reheattreated could i chamber for 6.5x284 or would it be better(safer) to stay with a more moderate cartrige and keep pressures at 50,000-60,000 has anyone wildcatted a 98 before. would i have to do anything to the bolt face or mag box? just a passing thought.

thanks, kingsman

OPERA NON VERBA

The 6.5x284 has EXACTLY the same powder capacity as the 6.5'06. I'd go with the latter. The former is nice for short actions (.308 Win-sized).

I think the 6.5x57 is nice, and you get to form cases from 7x57 or 257 Roberts. Not a full wildcat, but in the same vein. If you want something a little different, I'd go with the 6.5x57 or 6.5/06.

I have a minimum taper case on a '98 (a Gibbs). I'm happy with performance but feeding isn't as good as it could be. For wildcats based-on existing cases ('06, x57, 308Win, etc.) and just changing the neck size, little if any mods will be needed for the mag and feed rails.

If you're looking for minimum case body taper, things get different... You may need to open the front of the mag well, as well as the feed rails.

With the .25 caliber, you have:

.250 Savage, .257 Roberts, 25/06 Remington, and .257 Weatherby

With the .264/6.5 you have:

.260 Rem, 6.5x55, 6.5x57, 6.5 Remington Magnum, .264 Win, plus the 6.5x284 and 6.5/06 (while both are wilcat, they're fairly common)

Is there a case capacity that you want that isn't covered by standard cartridges, what is it?

Oh and yes, a properly heat-treated 98 Mauser should adequately handle the pressures you mentioned.

Conversely, excellent Lapua brass is available for the 6.5x.284.

My understanding is that getting it to feed well with the cartridge's rebated rim is the #1 issue.

And... 6.5x.284 barrels don't last long.

Serious target shooters--and many use this chambering--replace barrels at about the 1,000 round mark.

flaco