Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Side Swing/chapman Safety Installation...

JRH

Hey guys,

I recently found a Chapman safety for a decent price and decided to pick it up for future use. (Sorry Donmarkey I didn't see that you were selling them before I got this one or I would have gladly talked to you first.)

My situtation is...while I was able to install the safety on both my Vz-24 and 1909 bolts/actions it does apparently require some of the "additional fitting" I always hear about. Basically, everything is operational with the exception of the fact that if the trigger is pulled while the safety is on the gun does fire once the safety is turned off.

My two questions are, is this safety functional and just needs fitting, or is it a problem with the safety. (If it is just a fitting issue as I suspect it is, what are the procedures for correcting this problem, and for those that have done them how difficult was the fitting to accomplish without causing other issues.)

Regards,

JRH

134_3401.jpg

JRH,

To answer the first question, it is most definitely non-functional as is. The problem is that the side lever is not camming the cocking piece far enough back so that the contact between the sear on the cocking pierce and trigger is not broken when on safe. What is happening in your case is that the safety blocks the cocking piece from going full forward and allowing the firing pin to strike the primer, (as it should with the safety engaged) but it is not preventing the cocking piece sear from slipping past the trigger. (as it also should)

If you take a close look at all the parts and think a little about the functionallity of each, it will become clear quickly enough.

To answer the second question, it depends. I suppose that safety lever could have been mounted just a little too far forward on the bolt sleeve. It's a matter of allowable tolerances and I don't have the answer as to exactly where it needs to be mounted. I have one myself, but purchased it installed on the shroud as you did. Perhaps someone with a set of instructions for installation could tell you precisely where the hole should be located so that you could measure and see if is OK.

The only answer in this case (short of getting a new safety) is to remove some material from the sear of the cocking piece to increase the distance between it and the trigger so there there is no contact between it and the trigger when the safety is engaged. This is a delicate operation. I'll let the varsity members of this board chime in with recommendations, but the the surface contact between these parts must be very consistent and uniform. It must be kept square, and you don't want to remove too much material.

Before going this route however, you may want to try swapping parts around if you happen to have any spare triggers and/or cocking pieces. I have found some variety in tolerances in the parts I've worked with, and you may get a combination that works.

Good luck!

Try a different cocking piece before looking at the safety. Is it a chapman wing or a PME wing? Alot of people don't realize the pivot hole placement is different for each.

-Don

Hey Don,

What is the easiest way to tell Chapman v PME?...I have many combinations of actions/bolts/cocking pieces/safeties to try. (Which I presume would eventually answer my question after many hours of trial and error.) I just didn't want to go blind into the dark of night when I know there are plenty of people around here with flashlights that have been down this road before)...LOL

Fortunately, ( as it should be), the individual that created this pieces will gladly replace it it for me if there are any functional issues...I was just wondering what the progression of checks is to determine the full adequacy of the function of these safeties is? (randomly trying a number of different parts first?)

Thanks Don,

JC

Monte,

Thanks for the response as well...

JRH

Don,

I should have noted...I saw two does, and two beautiful high mountain eastern brook trout. Most importantly, we also located a nice place for a hike-in stand about 2.5mi from the access points. This swamp holds water at the low point of the valley all year long. Certainly a nice late fall rut spot...

JC

Don,

It is a PME, (I would post a pic but I just got back from a 6.5mi hicking/scouting trip and left in my frinds car).

JC

Measure the location of the pivot hole. I have a copy of the instruction with dimensions, I'll send them to you, that way you can check all the critical dimensions. Pm me you're email.

-Don