Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Parkerizing

ken98k

I'm cosidering parkerizing a receiver and am wondering if it will have any effect on the bolt lug recesses as far as head space and bolt operation?

I looked through the archives but didn't really find the answer there.

I'm cosidering parkerizing a receiver and am wondering if it will have any effect on the bolt lug recesses as far as head space and bolt operation?

I looked through the archives but didn't really find the answer there.

I've never heard of any problems. I polish the raceways after parking or bluing so bolt operation isn't effected.

-Don

I think the phosphate is an important part of the equation, and so I'd avoid the hydrochloric acid.

But little bits of steel are cheap, and it might be worth a test.

There's a lot of kitchen magic to all of this.

I've used the cleaner, and it works. I learned to keep it at the right temperature, and to not cook parts longer than neccessary - the bits of steel helped me figure-out how long was too long.

The solution will eat the steel if left too long and dimensions change. If you've got a pin thats a bit too big, park it for a few minutes and try it again.

The solution will eat the steel if left too long and dimensions change. If you've got a pin thats a bit too big, park it for a few minutes and try it again.

I was originally worried about adding material to the lug recesses but if there is a chance of removing metal I'll just stick with bluing. Generally, if theres a way to screw something up I'll find it!

Kenny

Hydrochloric is nothing to take lightly. Heed the previous warning and try samples checking size before and after. Our industry uses it to clean steel for many processes. It's known as "pickling". I have seen product over pickled and it actually lost enough size to become scrap. The loss was measured in thousandths, but way more than I'd want to see come out of the inside of a recvr. Controlled pickling also involves the use of inhibitors to prevent the steel from absorbing the acid which is very difficult to neutralize once inside.

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful with hydrochloric acid on heat treated steel it will cause hydrogen enbrittlement. This is very small cracks in the steel that can and will widen. We would see this on motorcycle final drive chains when the owner would get the overflow tube to close to the chain, net result broken chain before very long. i've also see it happen on stamping die components after the owners son cleaned the rust from the wire EDM off with a mild solution of hydrochloric acid. Be carefull!!!

Rebel49