Military Firearm Restoration Corner

7.62X54R

rivitir

Why would anyone want to stink up the range with black powder, anyway? Heh.

I always treat the belly achers complaining about my muzzle loaders with a couple shots of gun oil on top of the powder charge. I love watching the smoke cloud float their way. Kidding aside, I've been using Hodgden's 777. Burns cleaner, smokes considerably less and the fart scented sulfur odor is barely detectable. Best part, the 777 is non-corrosive. I'm not a hard core black powder type but I really enjoy the HAM hunting seasons. HAM is an acronym for handgun, archery, muzzle loader.

I've never done the cap and ball thing, but are the bullets swaged down when loading the cylinders? Getting a solid seal could account for oversized lead balls.

The projectiles are swagged down but it doesn't form a reliable seal. The tight fit is needed to keep the projectiles in place, to keep them from coming ajar from recoil. It also aids in combustion by compressing the powder charge. The shooter needs to top the cylinder off with grease to form a seal to prevent chain fires. Chain fires are caused by burning powder igniting an adjacent cylinder. Cap and Ball revolvers are dirty, finicky and a real pain in the rear but they are simply allot of fun to shoot. If the shooter does his part, C&B revolvers can deliver the same shot to shot accuracy as a modern cartridge revolver.

Or maybe Sam Colt like peyote.