Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Making Paper Cartridges

Making Paper Cartridges.

Required:

an unprimed or fired 8mm shell case.( Old Bradan primed Turk cases are ideal)

Double wide rolling paper.

.44 ball. I use .454.

powder and flask. ( you could use a dipper but you will need 3 hands or to make a shell holder)

Scissors.

Step 1.

Lick the paper and place it on the table.

Step 2

Place the ball and shell casing in the paper.

The bottom of the shell must extend over the bottom of the paper and the ball should be a bit down from the top.

Step 3.

Roll the paper and twist the top.

Remove the shell and use the flask to pour in the measure of power.

Step 4.

Twist the bottom of the paper.

Step 5.

Use the scissor to cut off the tips of the bottom and top twist.

Step 6.

Load and go shooting.

I have not yet been to the range with this.

I am going on Tuesday. I shall field test and report back.

If you cut off the base of the shell with a tube cutter,

you can pour the powder right into the paper.

Karl

....used to make mine from rolling papers.....used a wood dowel to form a tube, used some Elmers to glue the tube to the conical ball, fiiled the bottom cavity with 3fg and twisted.....put them tail up in catridge box....worked great!

The NSSA has changed the rules now....all prepared catridges are in plastic loaders......don't feel right being in Civil War clothing, shooting a period pistol with tupperware catridges......

good how-to site

....used to make mine from rolling papers.....used a wood dowel to form a tube, used some Elmers to glue the tube to the conical ball, fiiled the bottom cavity with 3fg and twisted.....put them tail up in catridge box....worked great!

The NSSA has changed the rules now....all prepared catridges are in plastic loaders......don't feel right being in Civil War clothing, shooting a period pistol with tupperware catridges......

Results of the field test.

The paper cartridges work but some have a problem loading and some leave a ring of unburned paper in the cylinder.

I can see where a solider in the field would need them , but at a range, if you have a loading stand, You are better off just loading loose power and ball.

Now on the Boot pistol, a single shot muzzle loader, the paper cartridges were an advantage as you did not need a patch and could ram the whole cartridge home.

Karl